Chapter Thirty Seven

𝐴𝑢𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑎 ♡︎

Enzo and I were now walking hand in hand, through the streets of Athens,  Greece.

Greece was a beautiful country. I had never seen anything like it before. The buildings were stunning, and the beaches were even better.

Enzo had woken me up at around five in the morning so we could shower together and get ready to go down to the beach to watch the sunrise together.

I had whined and stuffed my face into my pillow when he gently shook me awake. He placed a few soft kisses on my neck, jaw, collarbone...

I ended up only getting up when he offered to shower with me again. Every time we did end up showering together, at the end, we had a tradition to just hold each other under the warm water for a few minutes.

Sometimes it was him hugging me from behind, sometimes he lifted my up into his arms and my legs wrapped around his hips, sometimes my arms were around his neck and his arms were locked around my waist.

It was heaven with him.

Our Europe trip was ending in a few days. We had been gone for about five and a half weeks now, and now, Greece was our last stop before we went back to New York.

I was so excited to see the boys again. They had been facetiming us whenever they could, usually after school which is usually around ten at night for us. But we are awake until late... so we always make time for them whenever we can.

Enzo had been a bit on edge. During out trip in Vatican City, the boys called us and spoke about being home alone again. When we asked what they meant, they told us that their father had been taking out their mother a few times during the day.

Especially at night.

The boys didn't know where they went, but Diego always came back either high or drunk. Alex was sober most of the time.

Enzo attempted to call his parents, but they didn't answer. We stayed on call with the boys for another two hours just to make sure they were safe.

New York City was safe, but anything could happen at any time and in any place.

We continued to check on them for the next few days because we were both paranoid.

No matter how many times Enzo tried to scold his parents for their stupidity, they told him everything was alright and nothing bad was going to happen.

I didn't interfere anymore. Last time, I urged him to go and speak with his father for his family... but I knew it wasn't my place to say anything. So, this time, I let him talk to his parents, and then I held him afterwards.

I still regret forcing him to go see his father. I haven't said anything though, and I probably won't. Just to... keep the peace, I guess.

"Sweetheart? Did you hear me?"

Enzo's sweet whisper snapped me out of my thoughts. I felt him squeeze my hand a little tighter when he realised, I wasn't listening to him.

I nodded, "Sorry, baby. Just zoned out for a second."

He stopped walking for a second and shifted on his feet, so he was standing in front of me. He let go of my hand so he could properly hold my face in his hands.

"Is it too early for you? We can always head back—"

I laughed and leaned forward to put my mouth on his. My laughter died down as I wrapped my arms around his neck and kissed him.

I could feel his smile against my lips.

"You're so cute. No, it's not because of that. I was just thinking about how lucky I am to have you in my life."