-28- The ball

I slip on my red silk gown and some black heals to go with it

I slip on my red silk gown and some black heals to go with it. For the past 2 and a half hours I've had people helping to do my hair and make up, making sure I look picture perfect for my fathers ball.

A week ago I freed my dad from the cold clasp that is Ace Romano's hands. Since then he's been by my side teaching me all he can. Teaching me how to use his weapons, about his gang, which I found out is one of Ace's biggest rivalries. (Perfect.) Teaching me how much I hate this man...

Tonight is my father's ball. I've been told that it's one of the biggest balls of the century, that every gang from the country will attend and even so it's still one of the most protected and safest places to be.

I'm wearing a red silk, backless gown that is tight to my skin but flares out at the bottom. My hair is out up into and intricate design pulled right away from my face, besides two strands that hang, curled, by the sides of my face.

My nails and makeup are done to match the colour of the dress. My nails a deep matte red, coffin shaped while my makeup is a more shimmering pallet.

With glitter on my eye lids and cheek bones and some slight adjustments with prosthetics to try and blend me into my surrounding. I also have contacts to change the colour of my eyes, from a deep green to a dark brown.

"Rose come on!! We need to be early, I'm hosting!!" My father yells up the stairs, his house is practically a mansion. 2 story and fucking huge way bigger than the ones I'd previously stayed in.

Making my way down the hall, the dress slightly drags behind me on the floor. My        6-inch black velvet heels tap against the marble floors as I make my way to wear my father bellowed from.

Slowly, I travel down the clear glass steps as not to trip on my dress or my heels or air or literally anything.

"Wow." Cameron stares in awe as I reach the bottom of the stairs and do a little spin.
Cameron is wearing a basic black suit with a black tie and a white shirt.

"Looking fine yourself sir." He mimicked me doing a little spin.
"Red?? I thought we decided on the black and blue dress?!" My father comes in absolute stomping on my good mood. You know not seeing him for most of my life has its perks sometimes.

"Father, my favourite colour has not been blue since I was like 5. I did not like the dress so I asked Christina to help me find a new one."
"You could of at least told me or something?"
My father grumbles, awfully upset over the gown that I had fallen in love with.

"It's a dress. I didn't think it would matter too much."
"Rose, everyone in that room will be wearing black, if you didn't like the dress I picked we could've just got a different one!"
"Oh. I- I didn't know that."
"Of course you didn't! The only person you ever listen too is yourself!!"

I'm taken back by that comment, I may be chatty but I do listen to other people.
"Christina!" He calls for my maid.
"Find the girl a new dress and get her fixed up I'll meet you all there. Don't fuck up so bad this time ok." She nods quickly seeing to my side and my father turns to leave.

"Also, kitchen table. Grab something before you go alright? I love you."
"Ok, bye dad." Just like that he's gone, the man who stomped his way back into my life, hoping that my love for him would still be there after everything he's done. It's like I don't even know him anymore.

The girl. I have a name dad!

"Rose?" Cameron's hand falls on my shoulder
"I know what you're thinking, don't do it."
"Why not? Finding a whole new dress is going to be a pain. Besides my hair, makeup and nails are already done to match the dress. I am the host's daughter what's the worst they are going to do?" He sighs.

"Christina, it's alright. I'm going to go in this. Fashionably late, since that's what my father loves. When I'm late."
"But miss-"
"Hey, there's a stack of cash in my sock draw ok? He won't hesitate to fire you after this so take it and run to Mexico or something. Start a new life. Please, it's what's best for you. Unless you want your head to be added to his collection."

She shakes her head and thanks me quietly before running up the stairs towards my room.
"Now let's go Cameron, we've got a party to crash!"

***

As the doors open fully they click with a loud boom. Everyone's eyes turn to where Cameron and I are standing, Cameron now in a Red tie just too piss off my father that little bit more.
He's been nothing but rude to me so why in the world wouldn't I return the favour.

As we begin to walk in, the doors once again returning to their closed position wishers and mumbles fill the room.

Who is that
Why is she wearing red

Is that his daughter
Such a bad influence

It fills me with pride knowing I've just ruined his reputation in a matter of seconds by simply wearing the wrong coloured dress.

I make my way to bottom of the stairs to the ballroom floor where everyone is situated, their eyes glued to me when a hand roughly grabs my shoulder.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing? You're being a disrespectful disobedient slut!"
He practically screams the word slut and the whole room goes silent. My father, the life of the party, boss of one of the biggest mafias just called his daughter (who they didn't even know existed until a couple days ago) a slut.

"Get your hands off me!" I yank my arm away from him and disappear into the crowd. Music plays once again and everyone continues dancing as if nothing had just happened.

That's the thing about the mafia, no one bats an eye if someone gets disrespected. Even if a fucking bomb goes off, they don't care they just shrug their shoulder the other way and continue on with life as it was.

I'm darting through the dancers trying to find somewhere to hide, a bar where I can find a well needed drink. Literally anything to fill the hole in my stomach that's been their since I saved my asshole of a fathers life.

Someone grabs my wrist twirling my into them before grabbing my waist and swaying me with the music.
"You already stand out enough Rose, we don't need waterworks. Besides it will ruin your gorgeous make up." Cameron. He always knows how to lighten up the mood.

"I need a drink."
"Later."

Just as I'm about to respond I'm twirled into someone else's arms.
"Uh hi?" I swish my head around looking for where Cameron went.
"Hi and uhh cya." Yet again I'm spun to someone else.

Woah

"Have you never been to a ball before Red?"
A new man asks giving me a nickname based on the colour of my dress.
"I'm going to spin you now." And just like he said I'm yet again spun to another person.

Eden.

"What are you-"
"Hi petal, missed you."
"What's going on."
"I'll chat with you later." Once again I'm span into someone else's arms.

"Hi Bella. Me again."
"Alec?"
"Uh huh."

Spin.
Another guy.
Spin.
Mariano.
Spin. And as the music finishes my arms are twisted around my body, my hands in someone else's, their front to my back.

"Hello Mi Amore. I missed you."

***