Chapter 38 - Twins

Hereafter, Ranasa(Pratap's father) will be referred as Baabasa,  Ranisa(Pratap's mother) will be referred as Maasa and Jaiwanta Bai will be called by Pratap and Anamika as Badi Maasa.

-----------------------------------------------------------

One month went by quickly with all of them enjoying the new chapter of their lives, Sunaina (Anamika's mother) went back to her province and Rathnavathi trying to adjust into her new role as the second wife of her husband Padmanab. Jaiwanta was considerate enough to not be partial towards her co-wife. Pratap spent as much time as he could with his children since he will not be coming back for the next two years. And soon it's already time for them to leave for the war expedition.  Pratap was looking at his children who are playing with each other on the bed while Anamika was looking at Pratap with tears in her eyes, which are threatening to spill but she controlled herself for the sake of her family. Pratap already announced her to be the incharge of the Kingdom on his absence. Pratap said to Anamika while still looking at their children,"Take care of yourself and these two troublemakers. I don't know how you will make them sleep without me". Then he came near her and said,"Please Don't let them forget me". And he kissed her forehead, following which Anamika hugged him immediately and asked him to take care of himself and that she will make sure their children will love their father.

Pratap was blessed by both his mothers and father and then Anamika did his Aarthi and Tilak, sending him off. Pratap started off from the west where the Peshwa couldn't stand strong against him since Malhar Rao refused to participate, making their defeat early. This speeded up Pratap's itinerary for the expedition and then they marched towards the South, not before signing the submission agreement and sending off all the documents to Anamika, who inturn manages all the captured provinces, their taxes, and provides them with the laws of her own Kingdom which will be followed by all the subordinate Kingdoms and Provinces thereafter. Not only this, even the injured soldiers of the subordinate Kingdoms while fighting Pratap and his Soldiers, were given the same allowances and cost free treatment as their own Soldiers. This made the people as well as the soldiers of the captured Kingdoms relax as they were indirectly assured that they won't be looted or mistreated. After conquering every place, Pratap will send a personal letter to Anamika, asking about her well being and their children, while sending an official letter to be read in court.

Anamika was busy in court affairs, training the women army where young girls took more interest and slowly the parents also began more willing to send their girl children for atleast defence training. Still no in-laws were willing to send the married women of their house but Anamika was satisfied since the young girls will be the ones who will get married in the future and by then they would have already gotten the training. May be by next generation, everyone girl or woman would have gotten atleast a basic training. Managing all these issues doesn't make her neglect her children. Anamika takes one of her children always with her while her personal maid Kamala will keep the other child, be it in the court or training field. Although their grandparents could look after them all day, Anamika wants to spend time with them as she doesn't have alone time for her kids except at night. And before sleeping everyday, and after waking up everyday, she would make sure that the children will see their father's portrait so that they won't forget him after seeing him. When the children were eight months old and started blabbering and crawling, Anamika started to teach them to call 'Baaba'(Dad) showing Pratap's portrait.

It has already been 2 and half years since Pratap's departure. And the twins are now 2 years and 8 months old. But their doings as well as their cleverness will make others think that they are more than 3 years old.  Anamika made sure that they don't forget their father by telling them stories about his valour as well as his love for them and made it a habit that the twins will wish the portrait of him in the morning and night. As Anamika had expected, the twins were pampered by their grandparents too much and they became naughty. But she was relieved that their naughtiness is not something harmful as it always brings smile on others face as well. And they do get afraid of their mother not for her anger but for her silent treatment. The twins especially Abhimanyu cannot spend a day without speaking to his mother, as he needs her attention all the time. Sometimes Anamika would think that he is doing all the naughty things just to get her attention away from her works, because in the previous lifetime, he was very good child who never gave his mother a chance to complain on his behaviour but then she didn't have much works as she has now.

Pratiksha is another case, she can live without talking to her mother but cannot spend another minute seeing her brother sad. Naturally Abhimanyu turned out to be an overprotective brother, even at this age, who will make sure of his sister's safety while playing with other kids. But his sister is no less but she is not agressive in her ways, unlike him. She is an ardent follower of her brother, and goes with him wherever he goes and agrees with whatever he says. And thats what happening in Anamika's chamber right now. Anamika was looking at her two children, who are looking down with bowed heads. Anamika sighed and asked, "Abhimanyu, why did you do that?". Abhimanyu knew that if his mother calls his name instead of 'sher', then she is serious.  (Imagine the talk in slight baby language with certain words mispelled) He replied, "Maa, I didn't do anything. I simply told him as his good friend, what you have taught us. You only told me while telling tales about God Hanumanji, that he was drenched in Kumkum(Vermilion) mixed with butter and Lord Ram grants all wishes for that. So I told him the same for his wish to come true". Hearing that, Anamika wanted to bang her head, she thought since these were little children, she should tell them bed time Stories instead of reading Holy scriptures as a lecture during Puja(Prayer). Seems like they are enjoying the stories and are even implementing it, but the wrong way. Frankly even the kid's parents didn't complain anything, they were all smiles at their future Yuvraj's (Crown Prince) prank.

"Abhimanyu, the wishes will get true when applied on God Hanuman ji himself, not on ourselves", Anamika couldn't even get angry looking at their faces. "Maa, even I didn't tell him to do that. Did I, Prati?", Abhimanyu asked his sister who replied immediately,"No Maa, Bhai(Brother) didn't do anything". Anamika wanted to roll her eyes so bad but controlled herself to safeguard her serious facade. Fortunately, the grandparents came and saved the twins from the lecture of their mother and went out leaving Anamika alone. Then she looked at Pratap's portrait and said,"Come soon Pratap. I need you to handle these children". As soon as she said that a guard asked for permission to enter and handed her a scroll from Pratap which stated that he has already reached the outskirts of their Kingdom and will be reaching the Palace within a day. Anamika's happiness knew no bounds and it was a surprise for her. She immediately ordered the servants, "Prepare everything for welcoming Ranasa who is returning with Victory".

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys,

Do vote and comment if you like the chapter.

Thanks,
SM.