01

⋆ ˚。⋆୨୧˚𝐋 𝐎 𝐒 𝐄 𝐑 𝐒˚୨୧⋆。˚ ⋆

loving people has always been undemanding for juliet. a passing trait that many longed for but never seemed to have. as simple as it may sound love is difficult for most to achieve.

  juliet swung her legs wide at her sides, the pedals below her spun in fast circular motions as her bike glided down the smoothed tar road.

refreshing wind tickled her rosy cheeks while blowing past her face, her highlighted locks following the pull of the breeze and her headphones, as always, blasting softcore by the neighbourhood.

  the lyrics travelled from the wire connected to her phone tucked right under her shirt to her mind and thoughts that danced with each beat.

juliet always preferred being alone. no one seemed to notice. she could go weeks just sitting under her favourite oak tree down by the town lake skipping rocks till noon, and still, no one would even bat an eye.

  even so, juliet wouldn't say she had no friends. though every time she'd get close to achieving that goal it would turn out to be a one way relationship.

her eyes blinked downward as she placed her converse covered feet back on the pedals, letting her hands steer her to the same place she's found herself each morning expecting nothing but the same old repetition of mondays torture.

  she soon found herself grimacing as she neared her school grounds. the itching chatter and noise of teenagers running up her spine and forcing her hand to bring up her other earbud enclosing her mind from the outside world.

juliet bit her tongue as she slowed her bike riding to a stop by the racks. her thumb repeatedly pressing the button on the side of her phone to up the volume in hope of it getting any louder even after reaching it's max.

  instead she yanked both her earbuds out with a huff when it didn't seem to help, letting them dangle from the collar of her shirt.

her fingers locked in her bike and without a blink in anyones direction juliet was off into the school building. she held onto her backpack straps while releasing the build up in her chest in a silent breath.

  the halls where stuffy and full, her steps were determined to reach her locker and her soul had already given up without the school day even starting.

once reaching her locker juliet couldn't help but let out a sigh of relief at the sight of her little space littered with old scratched out stickers.

  tucking a few loose hair strands behind her ears she started switching out her books for her first period when a banging noise caused her dark eyes to shift to her left.

a boy stood, fist to metal only a few lockers away from her. she tilted her head at the sight of his presence. this boy seemed to be inpatient.

she squinted her skeptical gaze as she tried to recognise him but even after seeing his whole face turned in her direction nothing seemed to click.

he's probably new. she thought to herself.

so she closed her locker door and made her way over to him. hoping that maybe her hunch was correct and he was just seeking help.

  at his side they shared a glance before juliet punched the very bottom left corner of the mini metal door shooting the locker open in one go.

she turned to him with a small smile coated in pride before masking it back up again. "i had this locker last year." she explained.

"huh...thanks." the boy nodded as he scanned his new locker seeming a bit relieved.

  juliet looked him up and down with a glisten of intrigue in her eyes. but before she could imprint his charming looks into her mind she turned herself away.

"hey! wait up." the boy called out for her.

juliet didn't spare him a glance.

"my names lucas, i'm new." he kept up with her long strides. "you don't have to tell me your name that's fine, but i was wondering if you could help me find the right class."

juliet looked over. "what does your schedule say?"

lucas smiled to himself as he heard her voice for the second time. "um, english with mrs. ruthsbarry."

"just follow me." juliet offered him a subtle smile as silence took over their steps. "juliet." she spoke hoping he'd remember the previous question and put the pieces together.

"nice to meet you juliet i'm lu-"

"lucas, so you've said." she nodded as they came to a stop in front of mrs. ruthsbarry's classroom.

they walked in with an array of instant eyes glued on the wonders of the boy beside her. juliet sighed making her way to the far back of the classroom where she knew she could get a good nap in without being disturbed.

  she sat down and began gathering her bearings without noticing the confident yet slightly despaired look written on lucas' face only a few feet away.

he was tall with fluffy brown hair and olive green eyes. his nose was perfectly sculpted and his jaw tight. this boy had a gentle aura that surrounded him. the kind of energy everyone was greedy for, and juliet knew she couldn't get to his level.

  a knock was laid on her desk. he had followed her. looking up juliet's eyes were met with his.

"may i?"

slowly considering it juliet sighed as she signalled to the free seat besides her. lucas took the message and smiled in gratitude as he got comfortable sliding off his backpack from his shoulders.

  juliet thought he'd prefer sitting next to her since she hadn't noticed him mingling with anyone else yet. a familiar face shared by strangers.

as if the room was sucked out of all positivity everyone fell silent as mrs. ruthsbarry shut the classroom door behind herself. her old lady heels echoed against the still floor and her eye twitched behind her small glasses.

  although juliet despised this class and mrs. ruthsbarry she couldn't be more than happy that everyones attention seemed to have left her and the soon to be popular boy by her side.

"pick a partner, choose a book, get to reading and notating." mrs ruthsbarry started as she paced the front of the class. "i want you both to engage in the book, feel the characters and the story itself wether its based off real events, fiction, or fantasy."

luckily for juliet, she loved reading.

"by the end of the month i want you and your partner to hand in a question sheet regarding the chosen book." mrs ruthsbarry began handing out a sheet to each student. "i recommend you find your partner and start as soon as academically possible."

juliet held the sheet that was lightly passed in her hands as she read off the questions briefly.

"piece of cake." she heard lucas comment besides her as he read them over her shoulder. "right partner?"

looking him up and down then at what surrounded her. juliet noticed that everyone seemed to be coupled up already leaving him as the only option. "right."

𐐪𐑂 a/n:
this was a little short sorry, but first chapter done and dusted !!