The Girl in the Fireplace

[Palace of Versailles]

(18th Century France, and the guests at a masked ball are running along corridors and screaming in terror. In a royal bedroom is an ornate clock with a smashed glass face. A woman stands in front of the fireplace.)

LOUIS: We are under attack! There are creatures I don't even think they're human. We can't stop them.

REINETTE: The clock is broken. She's coming.

LOUIS: Did you hear what I said?

REINETTE: Listen to me. There is a woman coming to Versailles. She has watched over me my whole life and she will not desert me tonight.

LOUIS: What are you talking about? What woman?

REINETTE: The only woman, save you, I have ever loved. No, don't look like that, there's no time. You have your duties. I am your mistress. Go to your queen.

(Reinette calls into the fireplace.)

REINETTE: Are you there? Can you hear me? I need you now. You promised. The clock on the mantel is broken. It is time. Maddie! Maddie!

[Spaceship]

(Three thousand years later, the Tardis materialises on a spaceship with a long central hub and two rotating sections, one larger than the other.)

MICKEY: It's a spaceship. Brilliant! I got a spaceship on my first go.

(There are lots of bits and pieces of equipment scattered around.)

ROSE: It looks kind of abandoned. Anyone on board?

DOCTOR: Nah, nothing here. Well, nothing dangerous. Well, not that dangerous. You know what, I'll just have a quick scan, in case there's anything dangerous.

ROSE: So, what's the date? How far we gone?

MADDIE: About three thousand years into your future, give or take.

(He finds the light switch on a console. Part of the ceiling shows the stars.)

Y/N: Fifty first century. Diagmar Cluster, you're a long way from home, Mickey. Two and a half galaxies.

ROSE: Mickey Smith, meet the universe. See anything you like?

MICKEY: It's so realistic!

DOCTOR: Dear me, had some cowboys in here. Got a ton of repair work going on. Now that's odd. Look at that. All the warp engines are going. Full capacity. There's enough power running through this ship to punch a hole in the universe, but we're not moving. So where's all that power going?

ROSE: Where'd all the crew go?

MADDIE: Good question. No life readings on board.

ROSE: Well, we're in deep space. They didn't just nip out for a quick fag.

Y/N: No, I've checked all the smoking pods. Can you smell that?

ROSE: Yeah, someone's cooking.

MICKEY: Sunday roast, definitely.

(The Doctor, Maddie, and Y/N use the console to open a door behind them.)

[Fireplace room]

(The far wall is panelled, and contains a blazing fire in an ornate fireplace, with an ormolu clock on the mantlepiece. Exactly like the bedroom at Versailles.)

DOCTOR: Well, there's something you don't see in your average spaceship. Eighteenth century. French. Nice mantle. Not a hologram. It's not even a reproduction. This actually is an eighteenth century French fireplace. Double sided. There's another room through there.