nine - isla's place

ISLA'S POV

"Sorry, it's not the cleanest. I wasn't expecting you to come over," I say while tossing my keys into a bowl and tidying up a few blankets and pillows thrown around the living room.

 I wasn't expecting you to come over," I say while tossing my keys into a bowl and tidying up a few blankets and pillows thrown around the living room

(imagine her apartment similar to this sort of vibe)

"No worries," Austin smiles. "I like it here. It's cozy," he tells me as he takes a seat on my couch.

I'm walking around searching for my laptop and charger "That's what I was going for. Lots of pictures too. You'll never get bored." He stands up and goes to look at the wall with countless pictures on it.

" He stands up and goes to look at the wall with countless pictures on it

(similar to this)

I walk down the hallway to find my laptop and when I come back with it, Austin is still standing by the wall. "You're gorgeous, Isla." My heart stops for a minute.

I reply with a timid, "Th-thank you," before changing the subject asking him if he wants to hear the music.

"Only if you tell me the story behind them," he answers.

I chuckle and say, "I mean, I'll tell you but it might be a little depressing. Most of them are about my ex."

"Oh, I'm sorry Isla. You don't have to if you're not comfortable," he quickly adds before I butt back in.

"No. It's fine, Austin. It was over two years ago, so I'm completely over it." Am I saying that to him or trying to convince myself? I still feel a little scared by whatever is happening between Austin and I. He gives me a sympathetic look.

"You know, my ex and I broke up two years ago too. I haven't really dated since then." This is the first time he's looked so shy today.

"Me neither." I hope this reassures him and makes him more comfortable around me.

He suddenly says, "Until now. I mean, if this is a date? Honestly I'm not really sure."

I'm so relieved by this. "I'm not sure either. To be completely honest, I called my mom asking her if it was or not." He and I share a laugh at this. "I guess it's whatever we want it to be."

After a few moments of him looking at me he says, "I'd like it to be a date."

"I'd like that too." The two of us keep eye contact and our lips turn upwards into smiles. I could stare at him all day.

"Then it's a date, Dempsey."

"It's a date, Butler."

"Now play me the damn music," he jokes.

"Okay, okay. I will," I grin while pulling up the files on my laptop.

I play him songs titled 'For Real This Time,' 'Wishful Thinking,' 'Rockland,' 'Hard to Sleep,' 'Painkillers,' 'Better,' 'Camden,' 'Older,' 'Alright,' and 'Augusta.' We talk a little in between and during the songs, discussing our past relationships. You'd think it would be awkward to talk so much about your exes on a date but somehow, it's relieving. We went through so many similar things and have similar fears about getting back out there.

After I'm done playing the completely finished tracks, he says, "Damn, Isla. That was brutal." I can't do anything but laugh at his comment.

"But!" I add, "I have one happy song. I mean I don't have a chorus or anything yet but I do have two verses."

"Oh perfect!" he jokes, "One happy song to make up for the other 10 that rip your heart out."

"Hey! Don't come for my music," I continue the joking argument.

"I wasn't, Dempsey!" he claims.

"Sure, Butler." After a little more of us sitting on my couch and admiring each other, he starts talking.

"Can I tell you something kind of weird? I feel like I met you at the perfect time."

"What do you mean the perfect time?" I'm confused by what he means.

"I'm not sure," he continues, "It's just that everything is going so well right now, my career, and with you, Isla, something just feels right."

"Can I tell you something kind of crazy?" I repeat his question.

"Shoot." We lock eyes and I watch him do the little lip bite thing he's been doing all day.

"I'm down so bad for you, Austin Butler. And I know it sounds crazy because I've only just met you but it just feels lik-" I'm interrupted by his lips being pressed against mine. I feel his hand on my neck and raise mine to cradle his cheek. After what feels like a lifetime, he pulls away. His lips are darker and puffier than usual and his face flushed, but he couldn't look better. 

"I'm down bad for you, Isla Dempsey."