Chapter 24:: Three Days

Chapter 24// Three Days

Three days.

Three days is the amount of time I manage to become (and stay) a complete recluse from the outside world. That is 72 hours of Taylor Swift songs, sad romance movies and numerous tubs of ice-cream. For those past days, I have woken up late, gone to bed early and fought myself internally as to whether to turn on my phone and check for messages. So far, I haven't, and I think my new mental state is worrying everyone in the house. Everett has come in, demanding to know what's wrong with me, numerous times. My Dad, who is home for a few days, has even tried to get me to talk about it. It's only my Mom who really understands what I'm going through.

She's told everyone who's called for me that I'm ill. She even brings up food to my bedroom.

I'm on my third day of world-withdrawal currently. "All you had to do was Stay" is playing softly on my speakers as background music while I purge myself in endless tubs of Ben and Jerry's Baked Alaska ice-cream. Those two are fast becoming my two favourite men in the world, because they helped me make an amazing discovery. Stressed written backwards, is desserts. My mind is blown, and this just proves that Ice-cream is the answer to all of my problems. If anyone dares tell me otherwise, I will assault them with my new range of sassy comebacks from my hours spent scrolling through Tumblr, or watching Jenna Marbles videos. I honestly think this is the next Chapter in my life: I could stay here forever and be eternally comfortable and happy.

That's if my brother and my crushes best friend didn't have to barge in and ruin everything.

"Right, I'm drawing the line," Everett declares, bursting through my bedroom door without the slightest hint of a knock. My eyebrows furrow as I pause 'A Walk to Remember', and open my mouth to protest, but something about his expression stops me from speaking. My brother's face is a mask of determination as he glares at me, and his arms are crossed firmly across his chest. Ben is stood just behind him, eyes slightly widened at my no-doubt horrifying state. For the first time in two days, I begin to feel just a little bit self-conscious. This is what I'm like behind my closed door, after the humiliation of telling Jesse about my lies. Sprawled across my unmade bed, in sweatpants. No make-up, and I don't even think my teeth have been brushed so far today. I'm a mess.

"Lois," Ben groans, "What are you doing with me life?"

I bark out a bitter laugh, but my voice is slightly croaky. "I ask myself that every day, Ben. In reply to your question, I'm living the ice-dream." I gesture down to the tub of ice cream in my hands, snorting at my own joke. I should go into the comedy business; I'm so punny.

"Give me that," Everett mutters, scowling as he grabs the tub from my clutch. My sarcastic attempt of a smile seems to melt into an icy glare at the action. He just stole my ice-cream. "Lois," My twin shakes his head, "You've been like this for three days. You're a mess. Turn on your phone right now." He hands out my phone- the one I accidentally left as I ran from Jesse's house. He's kept a hold of it for me for the past three days- I can't bear to even look at my messages.

"Why should I?" I challenge, scowling. I gesture to Ben. "He knows perfectly well why I'm doing this, and I don't feel like facing all the crap in my life at this particular moment in time. Just give me the ice cream back, let me be sad and moody for a little bit longer and then I will turn my phone on." The truth is, I can't imagine anything worse than turning my phone on right now. Jesse will be mad I lied. My friends will be wondering why I haven't called or messaged them. I haven't been around to help Jennifer with her chores in three days. For once, I'm fed up of the responsibility. I'm fed up of being stupid little selfless me, blabbering out all of my lies in front of my crush and hurting him by telling him that I basically don't want to hang out with him anymore. I mean really, who does that?!