𝙏𝙒𝙀𝙉𝙏𝙔-𝙁𝙊𝙐𝙍

There was a crowd waiting for me when Maverick helped me out of my aircraft. 

Bradley was the first face I saw as I limped towards them.

He looked scared, and worried, and proud all at the same time. 

I dropped my helmet and limped as fast as I could into his arms. He clutched me tightly as I buried my head into his shoulder and wrapped my legs around my waist. He kisses me slowly, like it was our last. He was kissing me like I'm his air and he needed me to breathe.

Behind us, there was applause. Maybe for the kiss, or maybe because I'd just done what everyone thought to be impossible. 

"Don't do that shit again." he muttered, staring into my eyes. 

"Why? Don't want me showing you up." I joked, but my voice faltered. "I'm here, Bradley, and I'm not leaving." 

Bradley nodding, letting me out of his arms and setting me down gently onto the ground. His hands finds the small of my back.

"You cut your hair." 

He touched the now short blond locks, twirling them in his finger. The cuts uneven, just above my shoulder's. I'd cut it all of before I'd left the hospital. I'd left the girl I was before at the hospital, too. 

"It was time." I told him and he nodded, understanding. I slipped my glasses on to cover the tears that welded in my eyes.

Bradley spun me around to face the group behind us. Each one's face held a smile or a smirk. I bowed, giggling. I limped over to Nat who gave me a quick hug. 

"Nice work." she whispered. She had never been more proud, I could tell. 

"Thanks." I said, giddy with excitement. 

"Hell of a job, Captain." 

I rolled my eyes at his voice, but my smile betrayed me. "Always a pleasure to remind you of what a good pilot is." 

Seresin held out his hand and I shook it. Respect. I just earned his respect. 

Reuben scooped me up and spun me around, much to Bradley's disdain. Either because my arm wasn't in it's sling and the chances of me hurting it more were high, or because it wasn't me in his arms. 

Mickey gave me a high five and a smile, not willing to take Brad's wrath. Everyone else gave me a pat on the back, until I reached Coyote.

"Captain Awesome." he saluted with mock seriousness. He raised an eyebrow, waiting for my response.

"Lieutenant Machado." I responded, biting my lip to hold in my laugh. "Was I the superstar you all know I am?"

"Hell yeah." he howled, picking me off the ground and throwing me onto his shoulder. I shrieked and hit him on the side of the head.

"Careful, asshole, Brad will kill you if you drop me." I warned, already feeling him watching me carefully.

"Call your guard dog off, you're safe with Coyote." he said, a mischievous smile playing on his lips. 

He started jumping up and down with me on his shoulder's. I gripped onto his head, screaming. The pilot's around joined in, all of us jumping in a circle. I laughed, throwing my head back. 

"What the hell is this?" 

Everyone froze. Coyote carefully brought me down from his shoulder and backed away, leaving me alone in the front. 

Asswipe.

Admiral Simpson's was glaring at the scene in front of him. I waved, but quickly moved my arm back to him side when I was positive I saw steaming pouring out of his ears.