Chapter four: Not Meant To Be...

Jordane walked away. I exhaled. Time to go to the source-or try to. When I turned around Paul was staring at me. He had heard the conversation and that was not a good thing! "How do you know about Cami?" His expression was hard and serious. I was afraid. I knew he wasn't the violent type, but I still cowered.

"I-I don't." I stuttered. His eyes narrowed. He didn't believe me. "Paul, you of all people have to believe me." I pleaded.

"Why." He didn't say it as a question, but we both knew it wasn't rhetorical. I sighed and couldn't look up at him. I looked at the floor instead.

"Because you wouldn't believe the truth if I told you."

"Try me." He dared.

"August sixth, 2013. You dated a girl, but dumped her very shortly after. May 20th, 2013. She admitted having feelings for you, you also admitted to having feelings for her."

"Are you fucking stupid? It's 2009."

"You wouldn't believe the truth."

"You're fucking insane."

"No, I'm not from here." He looked at me like I wasn't making any sense. Then he asked another question.

"How do you know so much about me? Or claim to."

"I was Cami. Except one day, I woke up and I was this." I gestured to myself. "Just some girl named Mindy." I explained what happened. He still thought I was a basket case, until I spilled some of his secrets. He had to sit down to take it all in. It was a lot to take in. He looked up at me. "How do you know about that?"

"You told me and a future girlfriend of yours one night when you were drunk."

"Future girlfriend?"

"Not like robots, but you date her eventually." He gave me a stupid look.

"No, really. I was totally looking forward to getting off with a machine." He said, sarcastically and muttered something about me being stupid. I bursted out laughing. There was my Pauly Boy! "Was she hot?" Of course that's all a fifteen year old would care about. I hesitated and sighed. He'd find out sooner or later anyway. I nodded.

"You cheated on my for her." He eyed me up.

"I dated you?" I nodded awkwardly. Realizing he was an asshole he apologized, kind of. "No offense."

"None taken... I'm used to your insults." They still hurt though, even when they weren't meant to. He looked at me with sympathetic eyes. I can't remember the last time he looked at me like that. Probably the first and last time he's seen me cry. God, I HATED crying in front of him! It rarely happened but when it did, it haunted me for life!

"Was I mean to you?" I hesitated before answering.

"Cruel is a better word." I chewed on my lip. When I finally had the courage to look at him, he was scratching his arms. It was something he always did without realizing it until they bled. I put my hand softly on his. He stopped and looked at me. "But no matter what, I'll always have your back, loser." I gave him a small smile. He returned the smile, by giving a tiny one back.

"What am I like in the future?"

"More of a pain than you are now, less attractive."

"Are you hitting on me?" I snorted.

"You wish, kid!"

"What do you mean when you say I'm cruel?"

"You're a manipulative MASSIVE whore."

"I never hit you, did I?"

"No, but you beat anyone to a pulp if they tried." He smiled, proud that he wasn't a total jerk-off. He asked about what his girlfriends were like, along with all other future-related things. It was going smoothly until Rebeka was brought up. He went silent and said he had to go. It was too late. He was too far gone. That was mine and Paul's final conversation. Ever.

I felt it was time to be honest with Sadie. We were sitting on her porch, trying to write our story for the paper. "Wouldn't it be cool if we could actually go back in time? Anywhere, not just high school." I asked. Sadie smiled brightly and nodded.

"I like this. It's familiar."

"Familiar like Cami?" I asked. Her eyes widened-not in a good way.

"Yeah... Like Cami..." She knew something was off about me, I was surprised she let me into her house! But she let my weirdness slide. "I miss her." She said, sadly. She was a friend still mourning the death of a beloved friend that she had no idea was closer than she thought.

"What was she like?" Sadie told me several stories. I remembered them all. "What if I told you she was still here?" She gave me a weird look.

"I know she is. In Spirit." I shook my head.

"No. She's here. Right now. In person."

'What are you talking about?"

"I'm Cami Hilton." The door opened.

"That isn't even funny, Mindy." Rebeka said. Who let Satan's Wife in.... "That's really fucking dark, actually."

"What the fuck are you doing here?!" I spat. I looked at Sadie. "Let me explain, it's not as crazy as it sounds."

"Cami's dead. You're nothing like her! She was nice!" I laughed and shot back around, facing Rebeka.

"She hated your guts! Life would've been better if you left instead of her." I snapped. She pushed me and we started fighting. I got a few good punches in until Sadie's mom broke up the fight. She used to love me, now the entire family hated me-including Sadie.

the next week I looked crazier than the Oakwood girls. People thought I was only saying I was Cami to get attention, the bad kind of attention. I told a few people the rumors were ridiculous and I had no idea who Cami was. I'd never tell a lie that extreme even if it were true.

My reputation was almost restored. Most of the people believed me. Some still thought I was crazy. Those who knew the truth but didn't believe me thought I was twisted. Everyone else just assumed it was Oakwood rumors. Sabryna and Nalina are the only ones who knew the truth and knew I was sane.