Chapter 51

Harper

If I only get tonight with him, I'm going to take every experience I can get. I want to remember each moment like a snap shot in a scrapbook because I know years from now this will still be the trip I compare all other trips to and he will be the boy I compare all future boys to. Maybe forever. And usually, I deny myself these joys because I'm worried about other people, but not tonight—tonight is mine.

His hands move to my face so gently and I melt inside. How could anyone give this up? How could anyone be ready to let this this go? My hands at his side grip his shirt as our lips meet over and over. As one kiss ends and we pull away, the urge to do it all over again brings us right back to the center. The sun has set and the darkness is filing in around us and yet, we are stealing as much time as we can from today. It's as if we have silently agreed breaking this kiss will bring about the beginning of the end and neither of us are willing to start that clock.

Asher moves his lips to my forehead, stilling himself there for a second. "I want to get you back to Inn. I don't know how safe it is out here," he says against my skin. His arm moves around my shoulder, pulling me into his chest. You would never know that we just met, it feels like home here.

"Ok," I agree.

We walk hand in hand back to our room. We try our best to be quiet as we make our way in. It such a contrast from our first few nights spend outside, beneath the stars but in the rough. Tonight we will have the comfort of a room, but the beginning of a heartbreak—well, I will at least. I'm too afraid to ask Asher how he's feeling. I know he cares about me, but we've had this time away from reality and there's no telling what will happen when we step back into it. We have adventure and chemistry—but he and Jess have history.

If this were a teen movie, some catchy pop song would play as he and finished our ascend of the stairs and we would fall onto the bed for an epic make out moment. My hair would look magnificent, my skin would be glowing, and you could see the desire he has for me in his eyes as we reached for each other in perfect rhythm as the camera switched angles to capture our undeniable connection. But this isn't a teen movie—this is my life. So as we reached the top step, my foot lands on something in the dark and my ankle twists. I fall and it isn't graceful.

If cameras were capturing this, they'd hear me yelp slightly, then reach for Asher's shirt out of desperation. I attach myself to it like a flying squirrel attempting to land, causing Asher to flail his arms to brace both of us. It's not sexy—but it is funny. Imagine not being in control of your body but still having the awareness that you have to be quiet or you're the assholes that will wake an entire Inn full of people. Not cool.

"Harper!" he whisper-screams. Thank God for his natural athleticism that has him spinning around to catch me right before I splat onto the wood and begin what I know will be a loud and bone-breaking descent down the stairs.

"Sorry! Ouch!" I whisper back. "My ankle!"

I can see it on his face he is worried I'm seriously injured, but the whole thing is too much for me to handle. My ankle is really hurt, but now I'm hanging from his shirt that's twisted all around him and he's got my hanging by my arm like a naughty toddler. A laugh erupts from my chest and I quickly cover my mouth with my hand to remain quiet. The movement causes him to have to adjust his grip and pull me up the last stair to the top of the landing. I'm of no help. I've dissolved into a fit of giggles. All I can do is lay on my back and stair up at his bewildered face.

"What's happening?" he asks quietly but with such seriousness that I am again lost to laughter. He's even cuter when he's worried.

Finally, he finds the item that caused the tumble and puts the pieces of the last two minutes together. He holds it up. "Are you fucking kidding me?" The tiny car toy mocks me as he holds it above my face. "This thing nearly killed us both?"

Shaking his head, I can see in the dark his chest starts to rumble as he giggles along with me. I'm practically crying, struggling to catch my breath through the laughter.

A light down the hall turns on and both of us freeze. Then just as quickly he scoops me up and carries me into our room. He lays me on the bed, careful not to hurt my ankle. When I'm settled, he flops on his back beside me and we both stare up at the ceiling in the darkness, trying to compose ourselves. Who needs romantic teen montages or make-out scenes anyway? I don't know if I've ever experienced more joy than in this moment. My ankle hurts, but my heart is full.

There's a warm breeze blowing in from the open window, and the bed beneath us is welcoming. His hand finds mine and we lace our fingers together in the space between us. If there was an antidote for hysterical laughter, having a boy you're crushing on hold your hand in the dark might be it.

"Are you ok?" he asks.

I nod, but quickly realize he can't see me. "Yes." I turn my head so I can try to see him in the darkness. I find him already watching me.

Asher nods. I can see the relief in his eyes. I reach out and smooth his brow with my fingers. His face relaxes beneath my touch and his eyes close for a minute as he enjoys the slow slide of my skin against his. He turns his body towards me, and I mimic the move so we are facing each other. I watch is lashes flutter slightly as I study his face. I want to remember every little thing about it. His fingers move to rest on my hip and I welcome the tingling sensation it causes along my leg and in my stomach. I catch my breath when he bends them, digging the tips into my skin and then releases, kneading the muscles of my hip. Each movement pulls me a little closer as I lean into the sensation. Finally, his eyes open and stare into mine. His hand grips my hip and he pulls me into his body until every inch of me is pressed up against him.