House of Combinations

Layla's POV

"This map was in a secret drawer under the Dollhouse," Nina said as we filled Fabian in on last night.

"Looks like a sequence of tunnels and look at the Egyptian symbols," I commented.

"That's the jackal mark. The mark of Anubis," Fabian muttered.

"You think that's where the mask is hidden?" Nina asked. "Hey, what's up?" Fabian did seem a bit paler this morning.

"Nina, I dreamt about her last night. The spirit," Fabian said.

"What did she say? Did she touch you? Do you have the mark? This is all my fault!" My sister started panicking. I rubbed circles on her back to try and help her calm down.

"It's not your fault. Look, I probably only dreamt about her because we've talked about her so much," Fabian reassured her.

"So she didn't touch you?" Nina asked.

"No," he said though I had a feeling he was lying. But seeing as I wasn't telling my sister about the whole dying before 18 thing I couldn't really hold it against him.

"Oh, thank goodness. You had me scared there," Nina laughed nervously.

"So because you found the map under the Dollhouse, you think that the," Fabian started to say.

"The mask is hidden under the house? Yeah, I think so," Nina finished his sentence. Seriously those two were always on the same wavelength.

"Then how do we get to it?" Fabian asked.

"Is that what I think it is?" Amber exclaimed as she snatched up the piece of paper.

"Um, a map? Yeah," I told her.

"Yeah, I was gonna say love letter, but a map is okay, I guess," Amber stated. Especially when it's a treasure map. Sibuna!"

"Simple what?" Victor asked as he entered the room.

"sup, boo? I'm teaching them American slang.
It means something along the lines of," Nina rushed to say.

"Uh, I really don't care what it means. Off to school, all of you. It's late!" He ordered.

"Oh, Victor, we're recording narration for the school film, and we think you'd be perfect, I mean what with your commanding voice and encyclopedic knowledge of the school," Fabian said as we stood up and grabbed our bags.

"Hmm, well I do fulfill all those criteria, I suppose. Very well, if you insist," Victor said.

"Great. I'll record you this lunchtime," said Fabian as we headed into the hall listening to Victor clearing his throat as if he was warming up for later. I laughed.

"Way to go, boo," Amber joked.

"Victor doing the voiceover? Nice choice," Nina commented.

"While I'm recording Victor at lunch, you can check out the cellar," Fabian whispered.

"The cellar?" Amber exclaimed.

"Shh," I warned her.

"Are you four still here?" Victor called down and we hurried to leave.

*****

"You and Fabian are coming on a double date. This evening with Alfie and I same for you and Jerome," Amber commented as we headed into the cellar.

"I can't Jerome actually already has plans for us," I told her, grateful it was dark and they couldn't see me blushing.

"This evening?" Nina asked.