House of Protection

Layla's POV

"Help! Help!" Amber shouted.

"Okay, we're gonna try and get you out! What can you see back there?" Fabian called out.

"Nothing. And I mean, nothing! There was a big flash of light now my eyes don't work!" Amber shouted.

"Booby trap!" Fabian whispered to us. No shit Sherlock! I thought.

"Help!" Amber screamed again as she banged on the shelf from her side.

"Fabian, wait. What's that? Press it," I said as I spotted a small round indent in the top corner of the shelf. I was too short though.

"Come here. Come here," Nina said as she gathered Amber in her arms.

"To those who've trespassed where they do not belong, the beacon of light is your warning song. Your eyes shall not see. All shall be dark.
Until Ra completes his blazing arc," a voice called out into the room. I was guessing it was Robert Frobisher-Smythe.

"Ra?" My sister asked.

"The sun God. He represents the suns arc from dawn to dusk," I explained, remembering some of my research from last year.

"So the blazing arc lasts one day?" She asked.

"Whoa, back up. I won't be able to see for a whole day? As in 24 hours? I have a beauty regime. This doesn't just happen," Amber exclaimed.

"Now, you're sure you pulled the book with Thoth on the spine?" Fabian asked as he examined it.

"Yes, Fabian, I'm sure, on account of actually being able to see back then," she replied.

"Well, there must be a way to shut that trap off," Fabian said.

"There is. Look!" I pointed to the portrait of R.F.S who was wearing one of the amulets.

"Uh, hello! Insensitive," Amber called out.

"Amber, you said the amulets were for protection. Right? Like maybe protection against booby traps?" My sister said catching onto what I was thinking.

"Ready? Here goes nothing," my sister said. "Wait, Layla, why aren't you wearing one! You need to otherwise you could go blind like Amber!" My sister said worried.

"Oh relax, would you! I just want to test a theory," I told her as I showed her my mask of Anubis necklace which was hot to the touch.

The beam of light shootout at us but thankfully the amulets reflected it and as predicted so did my necklace. Hmm...intriguing.

"The amulets worked.

"Oh. Sorry," Fabian mumbled as they realized they had been holding hands. I just smirked. There was hope for Fabina yet.

"Ow!" We heard Amber cry out.

"Maybe we should get Amber out of here before she hurts herself," I told them.

*****

"Okay, careful. Slow," Nina said as we guided Amber into breakfast.

"And the sun is where exactly?" Jerome asked as he stared at her sunglasses.

"Um, allergies. She had a reaction to her face mask. Yeah, they must contain," Nina rushed to say.

"Raspberries," Alfie prompted clearly remembering the cupcake incident.

"Right. Raspberries. They're like her kryptonite," I said.

"Hold on. I'll just go and get," Alfie said.