CHAPTER TWENTY FIVE: Bottoms Up

I had honestly believed that I would be thoroughly amused seeing Kid intoxicated for the first time, but when I had visualised that scenario I hadn't pictured two scantily dressed women sitting by his sides.

My body kind of deflated when I first walked into the dimly lit room, having already climbed down from Killer's back. I wasn't sure why the sight bothered me as much as it did. Sure, I was aware that I had a bit of a crush on the guy, but I had no right to be upset.

But...he asked me to be on his arm tonight...

Trying to shift my focus, I realised that sitting directly across from Kid was a familiar face. With a body like a barrel, long hair slicked back until it twisted into a russet braid, was Reinier Cognac himself. He looked oddly out of proportion in person. His limbs were much slimmer than his torso, but I assumed that was due to his Devil Fruit ability.

"Ah, this must be the stragglers of your crew, huh, Eustass?" The second Congac's eyes landed on us he lit up with a large grin, raising his glass in greeting. "I'm glad you could all stick around for the festivities! Please, drink and be merry! It's all on me!"

And all from you. I don't like the look of your face, chump...

Now that attention had been drawn to us, Kid was looking in our direction, and I internally sneered at the way one of the girls held tightly to his arm.
"Took y'as long enough!" He barked with a slight slur, his nose a little pink from how much he had already had to drink. "Oi, brat, get over here!"

When he snapped his fingers and pointed towards his lap I just stared at him, absolutely dumbfounded by the way he thought he could order me to come anywhere near him when he was sandwiched between two women who he was quite obviously getting handsy with.

"No thanks." I replied flatly, folding my arms across my chest as I moved further into the room, sticking close to the wall. "You don't need any extra attention." Despite Kid's burning glare, Cognac burst out into a fit of laughter, resting his chin in his hand when he looked in my direction.

"Wow, she's a bit of a spitfire, isn't she, Eustass? I like the cut of her jib." I didn't like his eyes, or how they were currently looking at me, but I stood firm, watching him as closely as he watched me. "Why don't you take the edge off of that mood of yours and have a drink? Hey, Barley! Get the lady some of the good stuff, on the rocks!"

Another name I knew. Barley-Bree. A tall, slender man from the Longleg tribe. I recalled the profile I had memorised for him as he approached, smiling as he handed me a glass of deep brown liquor. An experienced fighter, never been heard to utter a word, with a bounty of eighteen million berries.

Swishing the suspicious beverage around in the glass, I watched the ice cubes bump into each other before I set it down on the nearest table, scanning the room to see where each of our crew members were standing or sitting.
"No offence, Mr. Congac, Sir, but I don't drink. Upsets my stomach."

Lies, but he doesn't know that, now does he?

Kid was glowering at me, but before he could open his mouth and snap at me for refusing the drink Cognac laughed again, patting the empty cushion beside him on the couch.
"Well, that's a shame! Either way, come take a load off! We've got plenty of food and conversation, now that we're allies!"

I didn't want to humour him, but for the sake of the crew I didn't really have a choice. With how Kid was glaring at me, and how I was glaring right back, there was no way for me to relay the titbit of information I had, so I had to leave that task up to my companions as I walked over and sat down next to the captain of the Tankard Pirates.

He positively reeked of booze, and I forced myself to breathe through my mouth. It wasn't that I disliked the scent of alcohol, but it was far too strong for my nose to take at such a close proximity, and it seemed off.