Chapter 25: Time Apart

Roman's POV

I finish working out in the basement since I needed to clear my mind of all the bullshit going on between Alaiya and me.

I walk upstairs because I've sorted out everything I need to say, but when I see her eyes shut on the couch as she's hugging a pillow, I may have to wait.

Fuck, she looks so pretty. You're mad at her, Roman. Who the hell said I can't be mad at her while pointing out the obvious? You're a bitch. I'm talking to myself. Where's a therapist when you need one?

Without hesitation, I walk towards the couch, turn off the TV, and scoop her up in my arms. Her hands instantly go around my back as her head adjusts against my chest. I see a small smile on her lips appear before it's gone.

Kill me.

I take her to our room, setting her down in the bed. I take the socks she's wearing off because I know she hates her feet being warm while she's sleeping and put the blanket over her body. She shifts a little again before falling back asleep.

After moving her hair out of her face, I bend down and kiss her on the cheek because it's been way too fucking long. A day or two is what I mean. Same thing though.

"I almost lost you, that's why I'm mad at you," I whisper what the whole speech I was going to give her was mainly about.

I give her one last kiss before going to take a shower.

~~~~

Alaiya's POV:

'I almost lost you, that's why I'm mad at you'. His words have been repeating in my head on a loop.

I woke up when I felt him picking me up. I didn't say anything because I thought he wouldn't either. Turns out, he ended up saying the most heartbreaking, yet loving sentence ever.

He returned to bed about an hour ago and when I saw his eyes shut, I started tracing the tattoos on his arms as I'm held tightly against him. I trace the word Nepenthe, the memory of him admitting that it was about me even when we weren't official rushing back. I know I joked about it and tried to play it cool, but I had never felt as loved until that day.

"I know you fucking heard me," Roman grumbles beside me. I knew he would be awake since my feet haven't stopped moving. Plus, I've been tracing his tattoos.

"I did," I whisper, my voice faint, interrupted by a small crack.

He moves his hand away from around my stomach, turning me around gently to look his way. I follow his guiding hands but don't meet his eyes, afraid that he may look at me with hate.

"Do you want to take time apart?" I finally ask the question eating away at me while staring at his stomach. He didn't say anything when I offered the idea the first time, so maybe he has been considering it.

If he says yes, I'll respect and understand his decision. I'll probably be more heartbroken than I already am or ever imagined I could be, but I won't show it because it's his right to make that decision and I don't want to use my tears to convince him to stay with me if he doesn't want to.

His hand goes to my cheek a little faster than usual, making me stupidly flinch slightly.

He's not going to hit you, he's not going to hit you, he's not going to hit you.