Pick Your Plot - Episode 2

Plot choice: The rats have found a long-sought-after tunnel only spoken of in awed voices and tales of old.

Last Episode:

In a fit of bullying, Marcus accused Vincent of being a coward, which Vincent vehemently denied. To end Marcus' violence, Elizabeth reminded him that his father's upcoming campaign for Council Elder would be hurt by his bullying, should it be exposed. With Marcus gone, Vincent and Elizabeth made their way to the dig site, where Barnaby and Thomas greeted them, excited to share what they'd found.

 With Marcus gone, Vincent and Elizabeth made their way to the dig site, where Barnaby and Thomas greeted them, excited to share what they'd found

Vincent and Elizabeth peered into the dark entryway of the low tunnel from the well-lit chamber they occupied with the dig team.

Vincent's brow furrowed. "What is it?" he asked.

Barnaby was flabbergasted. "What is it? What is it?" he boomed. He waved his hands at the entryway. "It's a tunnel, that's what!"

Vincent scratched his head. "Yes, but—"

"We didn't dig that tunnel, is what he's trying to say," Timothy explained, voice quiet in the echoing aftermath of Barnaby. "We found it."

Barnaby threw his hands up. "Exactly!"

Vincent's eyes narrowed as he peered down the discovered passageway. "Where does it go?"

Rolling his eyes, Barnaby groaned. "How are we supposed to know that? We found it, then we sent for you. Took your sweet time getting here, too."

A lantern appeared at Vincent's elbow, and he took it. "I was held up." He stooped to shine the bright light down the tunnel and was surprised to see it sheared up by a network of wooden supports. "Do we know anything at all about it?"

"Nope. Nadda," Barnaby answered, considerably calmer. "Though... remember the story about the Tunnel of Forever Food we were told about as kids?"

Everyone peered down the tunnel again. Vincent's heart skipped a beat. Could it be?

Vincent straightened and turned to face them. "Okay, this is a voluntary mission. We don't know what's down there or how safe it is, but we need to explore it. We can't have a tunnel like this so near the colony."

A small chorus of agreement came from nodding heads.

"I volunteer," Timothy. "I'm the smallest."

"Great. Two more?" Vincent urged.

"I'm small, too. I'll go," Elizabeth said.

Vincent raised a paw. "Are you sure, Elizabeth? Your mom would be furious if she knew."

She crossed her arms and glared at him. "Yeah, well, I don't always do what she wants."

He grinned. "Just most of the time."

She slapped his arm in faux anger. They both knew he was right. Elizabeth rarely went against her mom, especially since she was a single parent and working hard to provide for them.