||Confronted||

"I just don't understand father, how could you do this to me?!"The boyish voice rang throughout the halls even as I had yet to approach the King's quarters.

I slowed my pace, trying to prolong my anonymity so that I could hear more of the conversation.

"Lower your voice when you speak to me, I won't say it again."

"Why should I?! You don't seem to respect me, so why should I return the favour? I've been preparing for the throne my entire life, and now you're throwing it all to shit.

"And for what?! Your bastard son? He doesn't know the first thing about ruling—"

"And you do?"

I smiled to myself at the slighted comment.

"I've had years of training father—"

"Years of training and nothing to show for it." The King spat.

It was silent for a short moment before a frustrated sigh broke through.

"You have always been my first choice Ronan. Do you think I want Azrael to succeed me? Do you think it brings me joy to open my arms to that boy?"

I already knew that my brother's brows were drawn in confusion.

"Then why are you— "

"Because you're weak." He replied sharply. "If anyone were to challenge you at the crowning ceremony you would lose and that would be the end of our lineage."

My steps faltered as I heard him approach the doors that separated us. I didn't even realize that I had come to stand right in front of it.

"I've sacrificed too much to let that happen."

I almost scoffed at his choice of words. Sacrificed? Really? I was suddenly tired of lurking in the shadows.

"Please save the melodrama for someone who cares, father." I muttered as I pushed the door open.

"Excuse me, can't you see that you're interrupting?" Ronan's voice sounded like nails against a chalkboard in that moment.

"Yes, well evidently that is the case."

A sigh drew my attention to the King who stood off to the side, his forearms resting against a table.

"Ronan, I'm sorry but this is how it has to be. I tried to find ways around it but there is no escaping this. Azrael is older, he has bonded with his soul—he has the higher authority. You are simply not meant to be the ruler of our people. No matter how much I tried to make it so."

The three of us stood in silence for a moment, silently soaking in his words. This man had gone from projecting his utmost hatred of me to admitting that my brother was indeed inferior.

I couldn't help but smile.

"Don't look so fucking smug brother. This changes nothing. Avernus is my birthright."

I clenched my jaw as he stepped closer to me, his eyes narrowing as he tilted his head upwards to maintain eye contact.

"And you." Ronan turned to face our father now, pointing an accusing finger in his face.

"You're going to regret underestimating me."

I watched as his hand curled into a fist before he seemed to think better of his actions, a growl surfacing as he stormed out of the room.

"I think you hurt his feelings—"

"Azrael, please."

The King sounded frustrated as he held the bridge of his nose between his thumb and forefinger.