Chpt 38: Goodbye Hawkins, Hello Nowhere

A couple of hours later, the military finally showed up. I was sitting with Steve in one of the medical trucks. I was watching El who was with Mike and Will finally getting some actual medical attention for her leg.

I had my head on Steve's shoulder and Steve had his head on mine. "It's been a long day, huh?" he said. "It sure has. All i want to do is get some mexican food and watch 'the shining'" i said. "I've never seen it" he said.

"Are you joking? You've never seen the shining? How did i not know this?!" i exclaimed. "I don't like scary movies, alright! Why choose to be scared?!" he questioned.

"Because it's fun when your scared because it's not real! It's like controlled fear!" i said with laughter. "Fine. How about, for our first date, we'll go out for dinner then watch the shining?" he asked.

"That sounds fun" i said with a smile. "Then i'm thinking for the second date we should go see a movie and then go bowling or something" he said. "No, people who go to the movies on dates grotesque. You don't even speak to each other. You just sit and watch the movie the whole time in silence" i said.

"And who said we'd be watching the movie?" he questioned with a smirk. "We're not in high school anymore, Harrington. Keep acting like that and there won't be a second date" i replied.

We both laugh. "How's your neck?" he asked. "It only hurts when i talk." "Good for me then" he said. I nudged him in the arm as he laughed hysterically. He kissed me on the head.

"I'm glad your alright... But i'm still mad you kneed me in the balls. That's the second time in three years. You do realise that's not normal" he said. "No promises that it will be the last" i said.

I sat up suddenly as i saw Joyce walk out of the mall. "My dads back! I'll be back in a minute" i said to Steve as i walked away.

I looked around but couldn't spot him. "Where's Hop?" El asked as she walked towards me. I watched as Will ran towards Joyce as she hugged him tightly. As i was looking through the crowds, i saw some of the military men block the mall doors back up.

My bright smile slowly faded. I looked to Joyce who was staring at me. I gave her a confused look. She had teary eyes as she hugged Will tighter. She slowly shook her head.

My heart sank. I could see it in her face. It was then i knew. She was telling me no one was coming back for me. I felt a lump grow in my throat as my breathing stopped. I felt tears fill up my eyes.

I saw Dr. Owens in the corner of my eye. I knew he was the head scientist and head military. I stormed towards him as i pushed through the groups of people.

He was facing his back to me as i shoved him. "Hey, what the- Joy?" he questioned. I continued shoving him as some military men grabbed me by my arms and pulled me back.

"You asshole! You were supposed to be here hours ago! Where the fuck were you?! Where were you?!" i shouted as i tried to break loose from the military men's grip.

"Joy, i'm sorry but-" he began. "You were supposed to be here! This is your mess in the first place! He called your hours ago!" i shouted finally breaking the men's grasp on my arms.

Steve ran over when he saw all the commotion. He stood in front of me as i tried to push past him. "Joy, hey! Stop" he said grabbing my hands.

I tried to shove Steve away but he had my arms caught. "This is you're fault! Not his. You were supposed to fucking die!" i shouted still trying to push Steve away from me.

Dr. Owens stood there not knowing what to say. "Joy. Stop" Steve mumbled. I slowly stopped trying to fight him as i felt my knees go weak. I fell to the ground as i felt my whole body ache.