Takeda Ittetsu - If Only Then

Au: Regular

Au: Regular

Tags/Warnings: GN! Reader, Platonic relationship, angst?, freeform and stream of thought writing

Word Count: 1.7k +

•──────⋅☼⋅──────•‌

Takeda would never forget his first year of teaching. Fresh out of university and into his first position, teaching students about contemporary Japanese literature —a topic he was passionate about— he was bound to meet some backlash from students who wouldn't take him seriously. It was hard too. He couldn't blame them; they weren't much younger than he was, and they didn't see a teacher when he walked through the door. They saw a friend.

One student, a social deviant who enjoyed bending the rules, would always pop up in his memory whenever a new development occurred, even years later.

Today, a student showed up with a uniform that was three sizes too big (a laundry mishap leading to the use of their older sibling's clothes). When the teacher roaming the entrance to the school called them out on their improper dress, they responded quickly, "It's still the uniform. I'm not breaking any rules."

Takeda could see the scene perfectly in his mind. On the first day of school, a third-year student wearing a mixed-dressed amalgamation of both school uniforms in the back row of his classroom.

"(L/N), is it? Why are you not wearing the school-issued uniform?"

He glanced at the plaid skirt that poked out underneath the military-style jacket, briefly wondering just where your pants had gone.

"I am, technically. I just wanted to have a bit of style, ya know? Nothing in the school rules about mixing uniforms."

The next day, you appeared in the black pants and beige sweater vest, the tie acting as a belt instead of sitting around your neck. Takeda didn't say a word.

Sometimes he wondered how you would have acted had he been strict about your clothing, slightly regretting the hold that that 3rd-year glass had over him. Would the class have been quieter? Sullen even? Instead of the daily enthusiastic shouts of answers without raised hands and impassioned readings of plays, would it have been silent and disengaged?

Takeda knew that allowing some freedom, at least within his classroom, made students more comfortable even if they didn't care for the content.

"Nishinoya, while I appreciate the noise, if you could have your conversation be about class topics and not about girl uniforms, I would appreciate it."

"Who said they're not wearing girl's uniforms in the book?"

"The book said so. If you would actually read, you would know."

The class laughed, but it didn't wipe the smile off the boy's face.

"Why are you just sitting in my classroom instead of participating in a club or studying for entrance exams?"