Chapter 30

The rough strands of rope contrasted with Jason's gentle, busy fingers. As the last loop of hemp slid off of my wrists, he tossed it aside, turning me toward him.

He must have seen the need in my eyes because he only said two words:

"Come here."

There was no hesitation as I climbed astride his lap and wrapped my arms around his torso, nestling my face in the curve of his neck. Clutching tightly, I breathed him in like his strength could fix my sudden, trembling weakness.

Enfolding me in his embrace, Jason held me, letting me fall apart within the safety of his arms.

Slowly, he rocked us, pressing soft kisses into my hair.

"You did so good, Baby, so good."

My voice was shaky as I asked, "I did?"

"Absolutely – I'm so proud of you..."

One hand cradled the back of my head while the other began to caress my back. As his lips murmured gentle praise, his fingers traced along my spine, soothing me.

Gradually, my grip on him loosened and I laid my hand on his chest, resting my head on his shoulder.

"Here," picking up my wrist, Jason turned it over, running his thumb over the bumps and indents where the rope had left its mark.

"Beautiful..." bringing it to his lips, he kissed the sensitive skin, sending a shiver straight through me.

"Do they hurt?" he asked.

"No," I answered. "My shoulders are a little sore, though."

"Yeah?"

I nodded, adding, "Elbows too."

"Would you like me to massage them?"

Meeting his gaze, I answered, "I'd love that."

"Here," moving me to sit upright, he kept hold of my wrist and started slow, rubbing the dimpled flesh, easing the lingering itchy aftermath of the hemp.

Straying down to my hands, he squeezed along my fingers and thumb before massaging up along my forearm, bringing life to muscles that had been held still for so long.

I watched him as he worked his way up my arm, eyes tender, expression soft.

"How's that?" The care in his gaze sparked a warmth within me.

"Better."

Moving on to the other arm, Jason asked, "So, what are you in the mood for after this? We could watch a movie or take a bath? I could order in or I could cook?"

I smiled up at him. "You'd cook for me?"

"I'd love to." Jason answered.

Later, I sat on a stool at the breakfast bar, watching Jason mince garlic as chicken breasts cooked on the stovetop.

Something about the sight of his large hands deftly maneuvering the knife had me grinning ear to ear.

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Um," he scooped the garlic up and put it into a small, glass bowl. "Would you stir the fettuccine?"

"On it." Hopping off of the stool, I walked over to the boiling pot.

As I swept the spoon through the softening noodles, the steam coming off the pot heated my arm. I sighed, savoring the sensation.

I really should have brought different clothes...

While packing for this weekend, I'd been so concerned with looking good that I hadn't really thought about staying warm.

Stepping away, I immediately missed the heat, bringing my hands up to rub my goosebumps away.

"Cold?"

Turning to Jason, I admitted. "Yeah. This nightgown is cute, but it's not exactly thermal."

Jason smirked, eyes dropping to my chest. "I'd noticed."

Glancing down, I saw that my nipples were completely rigid and completely visible beneath the satin.

Chuckling, Jason went back to the garlic. "For the record, I'm not complaining. But," he paused to smash a clove with the flat of the knife, "if you want, you can grab something out of my closet."

"Really?"

"Of course, go ahead."

I crossed over to him, standing on tiptoe to press a kiss to his stubbled cheek.

With a smile on my face, I walked across the living room, heading for the hallway that led to his bedroom.

Entering his closet, I flicked on the light switch.

An extensive collection of suits still fresh in their dry-cleaning bags hung on the left side, along with a greyscale rainbow of button-down shirts. There was a small assortment of t-shirts hanging on the right along with some sweatshirts, polos and what looked like a deliberately ugly Christmas sweater.

Even though there were clothes hanging on every side of the small room, everything was spaced just a little too far apart – almost like someone had wanted to make it look full to hide what was missing.

Oh. Amanda.

Amanda is what's missing.

With slightly dampened spirits, I picked out a worn college hoodie. As I slipped it over my head, I felt instantly warmer.

Bringing the sleeve up to my nose, I sniffed.

It smells like him.

A wave of happiness washed over me, and I felt myself blushing from head to toe.

Then the cold reality hit me.

I'm acting like he's my boyfriend...

Swallowing hard, I walked out, turning off the light.

This is only a temporary thing-

My footsteps took me out of his bedroom.

Or, at least, it's supposed to be...

I stopped dead at the end of the hallway, heart pounding in my chest.

"Hailey? Is that you?"

Startled, I answered, "Y-yeah!"

"When you come in, would you mind turning the chicken breasts? My hands are kind of full."

He's not my boyfriend. I'm not his girlfriend...

Ignoring my inner turmoil, I answered, "Sure!" Pushing up the sleeves of Jason's hoodie, I continued into the kitchen, finding him busy halving cherry tomatoes.

We're temporary...

Acting like that thought didn't hurt, I pulled a pair of tongs out of the drawer and went over to the simmering skillet.

Jason paused his work, "thanks, Baby."

...but I'm going to enjoy this for as long as I can.

Glancing over my shoulder, I smiled, "Anytime!"