Chapter 77: The Fall

•3rd Person POV•

But Fred was still looking for a pulse.

Panic was becoming more known in Fred's body, the longer he waited the more scared he had become. Until he felt it.

A weak pulse came from Y/n's wrist. He looked up and saw her shallow breathing, small raises up and down on her chest. A smile formed on Fred's pale face.

"She's got a weak pulse." Fred said, sounding relieved that Y/n was still alive.

"I heard the great hall is being used as a safe place. Where the dead rest and where the injured can be treated." Lee replied.

"Let's go then. She needs help." Fred said. He scooped Y/n up in his arms. Holding her securely.

But before he could move, Voldemort's voice reverberated from the walls and floor, and Fred and Lee realized that he was talking to Hogwarts and to all the surrounding area, that the residents of Hogsmeade and all those still fighting in the castle would hear him as clearly as if he stood beside them, his breath on the back of their necks, a deathblow away.

"You have fought," said the high, cold voice, "valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery. Yet you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die, one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured. I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest. If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman, and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour."

Fred and Lee looked at each other, the fear in their eyes. They nodded and walked down the corridors towards the great hall.

The House tables were gone and the room was crowded. The survivors stood in groups, their arms around each other's necks. The injured were being treated upon the raised platform by Madam Pomfrey and a group of helpers. Firenze was amongst the injured; his flank poured blood and he shook where he lay, unable to stand.

The dead lay in a row in the middle of the Hall. Fred could not see Percy's body, because his family surrounded him. George was kneeling at his head; Mrs. Weasley was lying across Percy's chest, her body shaking. Mr. Weasley stroking her hair while tears cascaded down his cheeks.

Without a word to Harry, Ron and Hermione walked away. Harry saw Hermione approach Ginny, whose face was swollen and blotchy, and hug her. Ron joined Bill, Fleur, and George, who flung an arm around Ron's shoulders. As Ginny and Hermione moved closer to the rest of the family, Harry had a clear view of the bodies lying next to Percy. Remus and Tonks, pale and still and peaceful-looking, apparently asleep beneath the dark, enchanted ceiling.

Fred placed Y/n's unconscious body down on the raised platform, a spare bed lay by Madame Pomfrey's make-shift desk.

She immediately turned to Y/n beginning to treat her injuries, cleaning the blood off her skin and covering them in ointment and bandages. Fred held her hand and rubbed the back of her hand gently with his thump.

"She'll be okay Fred. She should wake up when she's ready." Madame Pomfrey said with a small smile.

"Thank you." He smiled.