park, wait for me

>CW/TW: mentions of domestic abuse/ violence and death.

◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦ ◦

The sun was setting and there was now nobody else there. Eren took the opportunity to start wrapping a blunt.

Armin and Connie were playing in the jungle gym with Sasha and you before you walked over to the gloomy boy. Eren caught that knowing look in your eye, "What?"

"Nothing," you piped.

"You seem like you have something to say," he said, pulling out his lighter.

You shook your head, "Just a bit curious as to how an honors student like you got into everything an honors student doesn't do."

He chuckled, leaning back on the grass, "Life does shit to you sometimes."

You were on the grass by his side, "Like what?"

He sighs, "Steals from you."

You leaned back, setting your head down on the grass as well, "I know what you mean."

The two of you tilted your heads, looking at each other when you heard a trio of footsteps and panting. Armin coughed a bit before saying, "Annie just called me, I'm going to go to the movies with her.  You want me to drop you off, Y/n?"

You were about to respond when Eren spoke for you, "It's fine, I'll take her home once we're done."

He held up the joint for them to see as you nodded, taking it from him and taking a hit. He smirked at you before wiggling his brows at Armin.

Connie shrugged, "Alright, see you guys later then."

Sasha waved, "Bye!"

The three of them ran off, leaving you and the dark-haired boy all on your own. Eren grinned at you, "What happened to miss I don't smoke?"

"I don't," you sharply admitted, clearing your throat because you weren't used to that scratchy feeling. "Not really."

"What does that mean?" he was still grinning. His tan skin radiated in the blush of the setting sun.

"I'm not saying anything else," you handed the blunt back. "You already know a lot more about me than I know about you."

He closed his eyes, "You're annoying."

"Right back at you," you looked up at the sky. "What were you saying earlier? What did life steal from you?"

His eyelids raised ever to slightly, his eyes were hollowed in a look of disappointment, "My mother."

The corners of your mouth turned down, a soft thumping in your heart played along with the murmurs of grass crunching beneath your palms, "What happened?"

"Died last year," he sighed despairingly. When you stayed quiet, staring at him, he continued, "She had coronary artery disease—a bad heart," his dark brows twitched when he looked at you. There was a slight flare in his nose when he looked away.

This . . . this must be what Marco was saying. This was what made him . . . different than than before. Different than the boy they all had always known him to be. Historia left out the most important detail in the story.

You pursed your lips, "I'm sorry."

"Yeah, well, shit happens," he said, a little too forthright. "Your mom dies then your dad marries his ex and now you have to share your house with a new mom and older brother."

"Why did your dad remarry?" you asked.

"When we found out my mom didn't have much time, he already was meeting up with my stepmom again," he said. "My older brother and I are close, so he told me."