Chapter 27

When I woke up in the morning I felt the same emptiness I felt the day Amity had left.

My family was gone.

The only thing I could think of to comfort me was the words Ryan said to me: "I think I'll propose next month, or whenever I'm ready."

I'd seen them in about a month.

Today, however, was a few days afterwords and we were beginning to set up our presentations. Karen suggested that we start getting ready, so I listened.

And while I was getting ready, a once foreign, but now familiar feeling shook inside of me. Nervousness. But had no reason to be nervous because I was prepared. I had everything I needed, I knew what I would say, and I knew no matter what, Ryan and my family would be proud of me.

Before I knew it, I had on long pink dress that crisscrossed at the top and had gold beading down the torso. My makeup was fresh and thick and beautiful. I had on some tall heels that matched the pink of the dress and had a white swirling pattern painted across them.

"Thank you," I said to my maids.

"Of course," they smiled.

Thoughts about the presentation raced through my head. I knew I needed something.

I paced around and then said to my maids, "Um... Could I have a small bag of some sort?"

Inside the bag I would put the rebels textbook. I wanted to have it with me, but I couldn't let anyone see it.

"Yes, is there a reason?" Asked Chelsea.

"Just to carry my notes in."

That wasn't a lie. I would also put my notebook in the bag.

Chelsea later came with a small felt bag that was just big enough to fit the textbook in.

"Thank you," I said and she smiled back.

When no one was looking, I slid the book inside.

"Good luck, Lady Emily," Karen said, "we'll be watching!"

I looked over to the clock to find it was time to go.

"Thank you," I scurried off.

Walking into the room I saw the other girls prancing around. I didn't worry, though. I knew what I was doing.

I took a seat behind the cameras they were setting up.

"Emily!" Ryan jumped over to me.

"Ryan!" I mimicked but in a softer voice.

"You got this set up, right?" He asked.

I assumed that his concern was because if I didn't have this ready, I would be eliminated.

"Yes," I tapped the bag.

"Good... What is it about?"

"No, I'm letting be a surprise," I smiled.

"Rebels?"

I didn't say anything.

"Emily!" He rubbed his head; taking the hint it was about the rebels. "Emily, I thought you were smarter than that."

What?

Something inside of me melted when I heard those words come out of his mouth.

But this was about me and my project. This has nothing to do with him. He shouldn't be acting like this.

"Well, I suspected that you were going to do something with the rebels, so I came prepared."

He had a notebook in his hand and placed it on my lap.