Chapter 2-The group

"Do you expect me to be happy about this?" Edward asked glaring at Lyell and Oleo "a creeper? One of you could've gotten killed, and you Paul, I find your reaction to the situation very inappropriate."

"Oh come on old man." Paul said casually lighting his pipe "these two lads are old enough to take care of themselves, besides I thought they handled the situation alright enough."

Lyell sighed and rub his brow as Edward and Paul continued to argue. Oleo was just sitting off to the side ,scratching the tiny black horns that poked out of his head. Lyell wasn't surprised by Edward's reaction to that to what happened. Edward was always was kind of the dad of the group. The moment he found out about the creeper incident, he didn't stop scolding him and Oleo even when they got to their cabin.

"He still hasn't stopped yet."Lyell thought, taking up his head band and retying. It been a gift from his mother, she gave it to him right before he left with Edward and his group. Lyell smiled but his thoughts were broken when Edward snapped his fingers

"I hope you're paying attention young man" Edward said "you're part of this conversation too."

"Ack, leave the lad alone." Paul said waving his hand at Lyell.

"Stop." Lyell said raising his hands, "look, I really understand your concerns, Edward but it's over now and we are fine. I think you should be thanking Oleo. If it wasn't for him, things might be different right now." Oleo gave Lyle a smile for the compliment. Paul grinned, taking a large perfect puff from his pipe.

Edward crossed his arms "I hope this means you'll be a little bit more responsible next time." Lyell gritted his teeth but just nodded. He began to walk away from the campfire

"Where are you going, Lyell?" olio asked.

"I'm just going to check on Noby." Lyell said. As he got away from that group, he let out a huff of annoyance. "Why can't anyone just show a little respect for my efforts." He mumbled "it's not like I pushed the mining boundary limits just for fun."

He walked around the cabin over to the hand-made shelter which had been constructed for Noby, their pack donkey. He helped them out in the mines by hauling in the car loads of murk stone they mined.He also helped carry supplies when one of them went down to one of the towns to stock up on their resources.

As he neared the little shelter, he noticed one of the lamps hanging nearby had been lit meaning someone was already there. Getting close he saw someone standing inside the shelter stroking Noby. He recognise the person by their trademark curly brown hair that fell over their left eye.

"Hello Harmon." Lyell greeted. However Harmon did not respond and just stared blankly at Noby, with his mouth hanging open.

"Oh no not this again."Lyell thought, walking up to the brunette and placing firm hand on his shoulder "Harmon, are you okay?" he asked in a loud voice.

That seemed to work as Harmon suddenly jerked his head back and gasped. "What-oh...thank you ,Lyell."he said "I just...had another one of those moments.

Lyell patted Harmon on the back. Harmon suffered from an illness the physicians called derealisation/depersonalisation disorder. It caused him to zone out to the point he wasn't sure what was real, making him stand in one place just staring or start to freak out.

What Lyell had been told was that several years ago Harmon apparently had a crush on a young lady in his town. He was never able to tell her though because one fatal day she fell off her horse and died by breaking her neck. He had seen all of this and the trauma had its permanent effects.

"I heard about the little incident today." Harmon said "we sure are getting more desperate to find more murk stone."

"You have no idea." Lyell said, beginning to rub his fingers in a worried fashion. "Harmon, how would you feel if we had to leave this place? We've been here for two years already and I'm kind of starting-"

"To get attached to it?" Harmon asked, Lyell noticed him clench his fists slightly "I know the feeling. Getting close to something it's a wonderful feeling sometimes the worst but we have had to leave if I'm being honest with you Lyell, I...I wouldn't feel anything. I don't feel stuff anymore."

"Well I don't think that is too true."Lyell said give Harmon a reassuring smile. Harmon didn't even give so much as a nod and just turn to leave. Lyell watched as he walked away.

He sighed."Well I tried." Noby just brayed and continue to eat his food trough. "Yeah, I agree." Lyell said walking out of the shelter, closing the padlock behind him.

He took a look around. He looked at the pine trees, the large clearing and the mountainside, it all looked beautiful in the moonlight. He closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. His nose filled with the smell of pine needles and burning logs.

"Whatever Herman says, I'm going to make sure we never need to leave this place." Lyell thought, opening his eyes he began to make his way back to his friends.

"I'm ready to hit the sack for tonight" he overheard Edward say. Lyell looked up and saw the moon was a waxing gibbous "Not me, Edward" he thought smiling inwardly.