54

Colby's POV

"What's going on in your head?" Sam asked as I looked around the room, ignoring the food sitting in front of me.

"Trying to figure out what's actually going on here." I mumbled just quiet enough for him to hear.

"He just told us what's going on. We've been tasked on a mission with a huge reward, and like you said...it doesn't seem like we have a choice but to take it." Sam said as I nodded.

"You're right." I said then looked at Jake and Corey. "Impressed by you two idiots." I said then took a bite of food.

"We can behave." Jake said and squinted at me. "Not often enough for me to trust you." I teased as a man walked up to us.

"Mr. Brock. Mr. Quill would like a word with you." He said as I nodded, nudging Sam so he would stand up.

"Just you." The man said as I narrowed my eyes. "I don't go anywhere alone." I said blandly.

The guy stared at me for a moment before looking at Sam. "Only he can come." He said as I nodded.

"Don't pull anything." The guy said with a menacing tone.

"I wouldn't dream of it." I said then looked at Jake and Corey.

"Don't move." I said to them then followed the guy through the crowd with Sam.

He led us through the ballroom then went down a hallway and towards a room at the end of the hall.

"Have fun." The man said then opened the door, gesturing for us to go in. "Here we go." I whispered then walked into the room.

"Ah, Mr. Brock." Alexander said as he stood up from behind a desk.

It seemed like we were in an office of some sort. It was nice as hell though.

To our left was a marble fireplace with a library surrounding it.

Julia would have loved it.

On our right was a continuation of the library and a little table with chairs at it, almost like a conference room.

In the middle of the room was a large desk which Alexander was sitting at.

"Come in, boys." Alexander said as Sam as I walked in.

"I've heard many things about you." Alexander said and folded his hands on the desk while Sam and I sat across from him.

"Likewise." I said and watched him carefully. "Have you put any consideration of my..request?" He asked and raised his brows.

"It's an interesting proposition." I said cautiously. "Can I be honest with you, Mr. Brock?" He asked as I nodded.

"Of course." I said and focused on him. "I brought you here because I see potential in you. You remind me of myself at your age." He said then let his eyes flicker to Sam.

"I had a second in command as loyal as you. We climbed the crime world together and ended up where we are now." He said fondly.

"Enough about me though. I think you should strongly consider taking this job." He said and crossed his arms, leaning back.

"My men are very occupied with another matter. I don't know how much time I can spare for it." I said as he chuckled.

"A busy man." He hummed, leaning back. "What if I told you there was more to the story?" He asked as I raised my brows.

"I'm listening." I said as he chuckled. "It's my gem. Someone stole it from me, probably to gain some sort of traction or power." He said with a bland tone.