44

Chapter 44 – Wind and Rain

That night, Yin Biyue waited for many hours for a single "Alright" from Luo Mingchuan.

Thus, the letter written with a fine, stiff script was carefully folded and tucked into his sleeve. Luo Mingchuan held himself awkwardly, with a hint of being unsure whether to laugh or cry, as if he were still a student at the academy caught passing notes by the teacher.

And then, the two of them tacitly agreed to not speak of this incident.

Yin Biyue's match was the first of the three. The closer to the appointed time, the calmer his heart, even if Yi Hu still refused to accept his core energy.

On the day of the battle, his mind was as still as a lake, undisturbed by waves.

When the disciples of Cang Ya walked from Lake Qiu to the city's center, the crowds parted for them like the sea. Innumerable eyes fell on them, and on Yin Biyue, but after the last two matches,their gazes were more respectful and reverent.

From Ye City to the foot of Chongming Mountain, a tide of people followed, but not a sound was left in their wake.

Both the ordinary citizens and cultivators felt like they were about to bear witness to a major event, or something that will be recorded into the annals of history.

Yesterday there were disciples of Qing Lu Sword Sect rechecking the defensive formations. This morning there were crowds of people on the viewing stands, and six elders with high cultivations and a Ye City attendant on the east stands.

Within the sea of people, Yin Biyue and Zhong Shan walked onto the stage, and bowed respectfully towards the other.

Every person present waited in anticipation for what they would say, even if it was only a self introduction. Too bad they were both taciturn, and would surely disappoint the many spectators.

Zhong Shan raised his sword horizontally in line with his forehead, an end in each hand, and bowed.

Yin Biyue paid the same courtesy to him.

Unlike the usual greetings with cupped hands, this time they both chose the most formal, most solemn greeting.

The two were approximately the same height, thus the two swords were also held at the same height.

Swords within sheathes, their blades unbrandished.

But Yi Hu began to vibrate.

The sword and sheath collided rapidly- like sudden rain against a golden lotus, humming without rest.

In this moment, incredibly, Yin Biyue felt its emotions.

This sword wailed like an unyielding question — in this era without a hero; even rabble could gain fame!

It was questioning Feng Yu Sword!

Under the Bao Pu Ba Gua* Sword, this sword had no response. When Shuang Lan* Saber seized the moon, the sword trembled gently.