228: Promise?

Chapter 228: Promise?

Neji spent the morning and noon with Hinata, spending some quality time with her to break the ice between them. He succeeded in doing so, at least as much as possible in a day just after crippling her father.

First they ate breakfast, then they took a stroll around the village, helping people with small problems, while discussing life with each other. They went to Konoha park after eating Ramen for breakfast.

Around the end of their unofficial date, they encountered Kurenai, Hinata's jounin sensei

"So the rumours were true." Kurenai said, standing face to face with Neji and Hinata in the middle of the Konoha part. "I don't think it's a Genjutsu either. I heard you were running around with blue eyes, Neji, but to think it's really true."

"It's a variation of the Byakugan," Neji said, smiling at her. "It has a few abilities different than the usual Byakugan, which is why I was told to always wear blindfolds. But as you can probably tell from the other rumour, I don't need to listen to the Hyuga clan's orders anymore."

Kurenai eyed Hinata when she heard these words from him, smiling. "From how you can speak about it freely in front of her, and from how you two are together in the park, walking beside each other like a couple, I suppose Hinata accepted the loss of her father?"

Hinata, ignoring all her other remarks, blushed softly. "Hey, Sensei! He's my cousin, what do you mean by couple?!"

Kurenai giggled while covering her mouth with her sleeves. "Hinata dear, why hide from me? I do know the deal amongst Hyuga cousins, you know? But sorry, that was insensitive of me. I just thought you finally got over that Naruto boy and found someone better."

"B-better? Him?" Hinata asked, snapping her head in Neji's direction. She soon realised her 'disbelief' tone and paled. "That... ah! S-sorry, Neji-nii! I didn't mean it that way-"

"It's fine," Kurenai answered in Neji's stead. "I wouldn't call myself an expert on reading boys, but I can tell he's not someone who would mind that, unlike 'your' Naruto. Why do you like him that much anyway? He's been oblivious to your approaches for years now. "

"That..." Hinata trailed off into silence.

"Oh well," Kurenai waved it off. "My bad, I got too personal. Forgive me Hinata. It's just that things are going really well for me and... Asuma, so I thought I could help another fellow girl with her love life. Anyway, enjoy your quality time and goodbye."

Kurenai waved at them and walked off, leaving a zoned-out Hinata and relaxed Neji behind.

Neji put a hand in Hinata's head, ruffling her hair. "Don't mind her words. I don't have such feelings towards my little cousin-sister. Heck, I don't even see you as a woman."

"Ah..." Hinata blinked, looking up at him. "You don't? Did... didn't you describe my body that day in the Onsen though?"

Neji tilted his head in innocence. "I did. I don't mean you lack feminine charm. Just that they don't charm me. Ah, I don't mean you don't look beautiful! If that's what you're thinking."