Chapter 28

Red, Blue, and Black dropped off from the bus at the location and split to look around the small neighborhood. White and Water went to investigate the tallest building.

White and Water entered the abandoned four-story and began their search. The area they stood in was deserted and inhabitable. Most of the houses were destroyed, as well as the streets and subways.

"I think this used to be a school," Water wondered out loud, "What happened here?"

White used his internal scanner to check out the rubble. "Seems like something that happened two years ago."

"I'm sure Garmadon was behind this." Water affirmed.

The two heard footsteps echoing from the stairwell. They turned and prepared themselves in a fighting stance.

"Don't worry. I come in peace."

The two saw a 6ft tall Lloyd with his hair tied back in a ponytail. He had older features than Lloyd, and his eyes looked dead and tired.

"Lloyd?!"

Water and White were shocked to see Lloyd this way.

"Did you grow older?" White asked, confused. "Are you even Lloyd?"

"Well..." The teen said, "You could call me Lloyd's older brother, Lance."

Water and White looked at each other uncertain.

"I didn't know Lloyd had a sibling, did you?" Water whispered.

"I had no clue," White replied.

"Whatcha whispering about?" Lance whispered from behind. White and Water moved back at his sudden appearance.

"How did-"

"So... where are your friends?" Lance asked, moving closer to them. The two ninjas slowly moved back from him. "Did they send you two ahead? Sad, I was hoping to play with all five of you."

"We're not looking for a fight," White assured, "Where's Green?"

Lance burst out laughing, "Damn, you guys are funny."

"Where's Green?" Water demanded, "If you've hurt him-"

Lance calmed his laughter and looked at the two ninjas aiming their weapons at him. "Don't worry about your friend. Just come with me."

"As if we would," Water scoffed. "Where's Green?"

"Well, I'm not usually in a good mood," Lance told them, "So, I'll lend a hand. He's up."

Lance pointed to the ceiling.

"Up?" The two ninjas looked up. All they saw was the ceiling. They turned their heads to Lance in anger. Surprisingly, they found him looking up. He looked dead.

"Quick," White whispered to Water, "Let's check the other floors before he snaps out of whatever he's thinking o-"

White found himself shutting down. He looked at Water, confused, before powering off.

"Hey, White!" Water said, shaking him. "Why did you shut down?!"

White wasn't waking up. Water started to feel worried. "I've got to radio in the others."

Water turned on her commlink and looked towards Lance. To her surprise, he wasn't there anymore. She looked around for him but couldn't spot him anywhere.

"Water?" Red said, over the comms for the third time, "Did you find Green?"

"Red, we met someone called Lance," Water said finally, "He calls himself Lloyd's older brother. He looks the part too."

"What?" Blue asked, "Lloyd doesn't have any siblings."

"That's what White and I thought," Water said, "Also, White suddenly shut down. He didn't seem like he was expecting it."

"What?" Black asked, confused, "How's he right now?"

Water turned back to where White was. However, White wasn't there.

"Guys, I think you should come down here..." Water said, worried.

"..."

"Guys?"

There was no response from the rest of the ninjas. Water began to feel more worried with each passing second. She suddenly started to feel dizzy. Her consciousness was slowly slipping away.

Lance reappeared in front of Water with White in one arm and Red in the other. Another person resembling Lloyd but with a more yellowish eye color appeared. The person held Blue in one arm and Black in her other.

"Will you carry her, or will I?" The mysterious woman said.

"Cool is coming," Lance told her, "We just have to wait, Nat."

"Whatever."

Water groaned, attracting their attention. "Who... are you... guys..."

"Like I said earlier," Lance spoke, "I am Lance. However, I didn't say earlier that I was a personality clone."

"Personality... clone?"

"Yes, and this is Natalie, Nat for short," Lance continued. "She's also a personality clone."

Water fell unconscious, after which Cool appeared and picked her up.

"Let's get going," Cool told the other two clones, "I think OG's ready."

"Alright," Lance said.

~X~x~X~x~X~

Natalie yawned, "Gosh, I really can't wait to leave. I'm tired from all the moving around I did all week."

"You and me both, babe," Cool said, shooting her a wink. Nat scoffed.

"You must be exhausted to be talking like that," Lance said to Cool. "I'm exhausted too. I can't even think straight."

The three stopped and looked at each other.

"You don't think..." Nat said worriedly.

"Lloyd," Cool and Lance responded, immediately getting the message. The three of them nodded at each other and walked into their shadows. They reappeared at the roof, where Lloyd sat looking gravely ill.

"I thought we had time," Nat said, dropping off the ninjas into the cages.

"Looks like it wasn't enough," Lance said, locking the bars.

"It seems all the clones have returned but us," Cool said. "And it also seems like we couldn't get Garmadon either."

"No..." Lloyd said, turning towards them. "He's over there."

Lloyd pointed to a black essence spread out on the floor.

"He's in there."