Chapter 5 - Hawkeye

Art Source - Bought from Valekun on Redbubble

Chapter 5 - Hawkeye

Subaru always thought he would have a chosen one moment. A weapon would magically just feel right to him, and he would become strong. Isn't that how all great fantasy characters start off? The situation he landed himself in wasn't what he had in mind when he was asked to choose a weapon.

"You're terrible at everything?!" Felix was in complete shock. He started pulling on his hair, as he paced around the room. "Most people at least have a weapon they're decent at or even just bad at, but Subaru-Kyuh... you're terrible at everything. What's next, you're going to say your best weapon is a whip or something? I can't come back to Crusch-Sama without a weapon for you."

"Felix may have been harsh, but I agree with his assessment." Wilhelm didn't hesitate to share his opinion on the matter.

"You too!? Come on, I can't be that bad. The weapons around here are just lousy," Subaru tried to shift the blame.

Swords were completely out of the question. Subaru thought he'd be at least decent at them, but nope, Wilhelm flat out said he had zero potential with it. He struggled to even hold a morning star without hurting himself on the sharp parts. The best he could do with a spear was barely make a dent on a wooden target. Just as a finishing blow to his confidence, he missed every arrow he shot; the target was 6 feet (1.8 meters) away from him.

"I really don't knyow what to do with you," Felix's pride wouldn't let him bring Subaru back the Crusch without a weapon. His insistence was more for himself rather than Subaru.

"I believe Subaru-dono is ill fit to be a combatant. It may be more beneficial for him to focus on his studies." Wilhelm said. His suggestion went on Felix's deaf ear as the cat boy continued to try to find the perfect weapon.

"Subaru-kyuh can do something... maybe it's just the weapons." Felix awkwardly tried to deny Wilhelm's statement.

" I didn't think he'd actually use that excuse." Subaru once again noticed Felix's loyalty to Crusch. He didn't dare question any of the decisions she made and followed them to completion. Subaru was concerned for both Crusch and Felix. The person most loyal to you should also be the most honest. If Crusch chose a harmful path, would Felix follow without question? Those are all questions that lingered in his mind, but for now, he had no right to say anything.

"Mana...Complete..." With the words of someone else in his head, Scarlet started to visualize. It was almost like it was being made out of nothing, as his red friend appeared before him.

"You're awake! It may not be the best time since I'm about to do something embarrassing buddy." Subaru was happy to see his friend awake, but it showed up at the worst time. Subaru was worried about showing it how useless he was.

To his surprise, Scarlet just spun around his legs and moved towards a weapon. Subaru decided to follow what his buddy was so excited about. He was led to a black bow. It had a crimson accent that extended to the string. The grip in the middle had a fair amount of wear and tear, showing it had been used extensively. Not the worst weapon here, but not impressive. Scarlet and Wilhelm thought otherwise. Right next to the bow were a pair of gloves.