Vol. 2 Ch. 40 - Grateful

[Asako's POV]

"Yazawa-san, are you sure about your decision?" The doctor seemed concerned with his question.

"Yes... I know what I'm about to put myself into... Tell me, Doctor, do you have kids?"

He was taken aback by what I asked. He took a second to digest what I said then replied,

"Yes, I do have..."

"Then you understand that as a parent, you would do anything for your children, right?"

"I understand. I apologize if I seemed to be meddling with your decision. Does your family know about this? If you don't mind me asking."

"Only my husband. It was hard for him to accept at first but he didn't have a choice because of how persistent I was."

"Thank you for telling me. We can do the surgery as soon as possible."

"We'll do it tomorrow then."

"But isn't that—"

"Every second that my son spends lying unconscious on his death bed, a part of my heart is being chipped away. I would rather have him wake up soon than delay the life that has been waiting for him..."

"I... I understand, Yazawa-san. I'll make the arrangements for you."

I stood up from my seat, give him a faint smile, and said, "Thanks for everything you've done for my son."

He stood up as well and replied, "I'd do anything for my patients."

As I exit the Doctor's office, I proceeded to my son's room so I can see my children there who were currently resting.

I opened the door and found Ichika watching over him. She stood up from her seat when she noticed me coming in.

"How is he?" I asked.

"He's doing okay. There's nothing unusual that happened."

"That's really good to hear," I uttered. "I was able to speak to the doctor and found that he needs to have surgery soon as possible."

She looked worried and asked, "Why, what happened?"

"It's the artificial tissue that was implanted in his heart. The doctor said that it wasn't a long-term solution especially with his case because of what happened."

She looked dejected about what I said but I wanted to at least remove a worry from my daughter's mind.

"But there's at least some good news," I muttered.

"Really? What is it?"

I was about to tear up but I held it back the best I could. I smiled at her, held her hand, and replied,

"There's already someone who can donate a heart."

"That's great, Mother!" Ichika looked so happy about hearing the news. "What did the doctors say? When would the surgery be? This is really good news!" She exclaimed.

"The surgery will be tomorrow. There's a high rate of survival which is a relief to me."

"That's really assuring then. I just can't help but get worried."

I held her hand tighter and uttered, "Don't be, alright? I got him the best doctors so you can rest easy."

"I'm sorry, Mother. But yeah, I hope for success in his surgery."

"It will be successful. It has to be."

"I want you kids to continue the life that has been waiting for the two of you. I might not be able to see it, but I know that it won't be in vain."