five.

Penny

I glanced up at Steve, then at Eddie, standing outside in the rain, soaking wet. "You can't find her?" Steve repeated Eddie's words.

"And why would we believe you?" I asked stepping forward. Eddie took a few steps back. I could tell he was processing my argument. Why would we believe him? He's only been mean to us.

He closed his eyes, sighing. "Look, I'm sorry," he said. "But I need you to trust me right now."

"That's not a great argument, metal head," Steve cautioned stepping into the rain.

"Eddie!" A voice came from down the street. I recognized it instantly, my head turning to see Dustin peddling as fast as possible, Max and Lucas in tow. "Did you find her?" He called, raining plastering onto his clothes.

Oh shit

Oh shit. Steve and I exchanged nervous glances, I pushed past him, running back up the stairs to find clothes. I pulled on my spare set of jeans, a t shirt, and Nikes, practically colliding with Steve in the hallway. We rushed back to the open door, Steve ran down the driveway.

"Everyone get in the car!" I piled into the back with Max, Lucas, and Dustin, Eddie got shotgun. I can't believe this is my reality.

"She could be anywhere," Eddie said as Steve pulled out.

"Dustin, where would she go?" Steve asked.

"Uhhh

"Uhhh..."

"The lake," I said surely.

"Which lake?" Steve said glancing into the rear view mirror. "At camp Nobel... she was supposed to go for a weekend with Robin. It's 40 minutes out of town."

Having no other ideas, Steve sped off.

————————————————————————

"She likes to hang out by the docks," I said as we pulled into the camp grounds. I had been to camp Nobel once before, Kat and I were staff members two summers ago.

When she was upset she'd often go down to the lake to calm down with her Walkman. I got out of the car, all of us running at full pace past fall trees and camp bunk houses. The docks were on the other side, far away from the parking lot. The lake was vast and wide, gleaming in the sunset.