《 an unexpected date 》

HUMAN AU

Warm air, carrying the scent of sugar and spices, rushed to meet Keefe as he took his first steps into the café. He was closely followed by a pair of radiantly attractive teenagers. One boy of eighteen, the other a girl of sixteen; despite the age gap they could easily pass for twins. They shared the same silky dark hair and alarmingly teal eyes, each tall for their age and excessively beautiful.

The girl — Biana Vacker — tossed her hair in the same fluid motion she disappeared in, weaving like wind through the tight packs of people clustering the café. Keefe lost sight of her quickly, but held the assumption she was finding her boyfriend. Or breaking up with him.

Both seemed to be hobbies of hers.

Losing interest, he spun on his heel to face Fitz — Biana's older brother — and clapped him on the back. "Today's the day," Keefe informed him, dodging the flirtatious glances of a nearby girl sitting in a booth.

"For what?" Fitz asked, though it was evident he was already aware of the answer.

"Time to get you a girlfriend," Keefe said smugly.

"You're one to talk," Fitz replied, his eyes clouding over as he scanned the line of people waiting to order. "I don't see you dating anyone."

"Yeah, well, I'm waiting for my soulmate." He smirked, smoothly hiding the pain in his voice. "And I haven't found her yet. So in the meantime," he continued, "we're going to find yours."

"What better chance do I have?"

"Your looks. Duh." Keefe shoved him lightly. "You are aware of how many fangirls you have, aren't you?"

"Yes." Fitz tossed him his trademark grin. "And its more than you have."

"Well we all know that's a lie," Keefe said, running both hands through his hair. A grin spread over his face when he caught the attention of at least a dozen teenage girls.

Laughing, Fitz shook his head. Again, he studied the lengthy line toward the cash register and contemplated whether or not to join.

"Forget that." Keefe took his best friend by the shoulders and whirled him to face the right half of the café. It was larger than the left, with booths lining the walls and tables sitting dozens more people than was protocol.

Keefe would know. He'd worked here for a few months, before his boss had fired him for attracting too much attention.

"Go find a girl," he told Fitz. "Sit down with her. Have a conversation."

"Only if you do the same."

"Fine," Keefe agreed. "But you need this more than I do."

"Oh, really?"

Smithing, Keefe gave him another good shove. But just as he turned to head in the other direction, he felt Fitz shove him in return.

It was a surprise.

Fitz never retaliated, and the impact jarred Keefe so hard that he stumbled into a girl standing scarce feet away from the front doors. She held a cup of hot chocolate, or possibly coffee. He guessed the latter.

If she was like him, she couldn't go an hour without caffeine.

As they collided, foreheads bumping, a bit of her delicacy spilled onto Keefe's shirt. Thankfully, the thick cotton prevented it from burning his skin. It didn't hurt that his shirt was also black.

In a few minutes, no one would be able to tell.

"Oh," the girl breathed, nearly dropping both her cup and cell phone. "I'm so sorry."