The Afterlife

The road was steep and somewhat rocky.

He didn't know how long he'd been walking on the darker terrain. But there was not much else to go other than forward. Though his body ached like an old man's, he paid no mind and kept walking with a teeter in every step.

The man had found a larger, sturdy stick before his path, and had shakily bent to pick it up; aiding in his walking while the forest around him swayed their leaves almost mysteriously, as if they were anticipating his fated arrival. A few even found their way in his path and gray hair, as if to tease.

But he'd keep walking, and walking. Past the vine-like roots and the dirt, he kept following the light at the end of the forest diligently for what seemed like hours.

The more the man kept walking, the wind grew slightly stronger. As a result, the trees blew more fruitfully as if grateful for the gusts that pampered their leaves. The smell of salt and summer became clearer, and it was only then the man had realized that his sense of smell until now was absent.

It was also at this moment that his hearing had slowly started to become clearer. His knees, no longer weak, he let go of his stick cane and strolled more freely towards the sound of the gentle waters.

Strolling a little farther and faster each time, at one point, the young man started to run. His bare feet felt weak just minutes ago, and yet, here he was, running with all his might.

The light at the end of the darker forest had grown so near, and so close, that he ran until his breath was short. And ran until the trees seemed taller than before.

When he reached the forest's exit, the scene before him unravelled like a water lily.

The light of the sun nearly blinding him, the wind blowing at his black hair, the sound of gentle waves crashing near the shoreline, and the smell of the ocean air, nearly took his breath away.

So much so, that he hadn't even realized how worn his small feet were from all the walking earlier; contrast to the way it felt against the softer, hot sand, that sunk his soles in as if to welcome him.

He watched the majestic, empty beach before him with a gasp in every breath.

How long had it been since he last saw the ocean?
The boy couldn't recall.

The white sand, the blue waters, and an even bluer sky.

Just then, a strong gust of wind had blown at him from the side, covering his vision with his black hair. Hastily pushing the dark strands away, he then notices a figure up ahead.

Another boy.

One that stood just beyond the shoreline with his back facing away as if they were fixated on watching the ocean's horizon. Their feet, dipped into the waves as the summer wind blew at their white clothes.

The boy stares into their back almost absentmindedly at first.

Could it be?

No, it was a dream.

It had to be.

Why else were they here if not a dream?

The boy beyond the shoreline slowly turned.

When their eyes met like it was the first time, his breath had hitched.

Those eyes, that hair, that scar.

Was it truly them?

The boy's feet refused the command to run towards them. As if he were afraid that it was all a mere illusion that would suddenly disappear like a jewel by the shore—ready to be swept away by the currents at any time.

And when the boy beyond the shoreline smiled at him, as if to welcome him home, his heart rushed, and he made a run towards them. The white sand, flying past the boy as he ran across the beach without a care in the world. Hurrying into their arms as if to continue a hug that he'd been waiting for for decades.

It was only at this point that he became aware of the tears that streamed across his cheeks; flowing like a river. He wept until his tears mixed into the ocean, and wept until the other boy's clothes were drenched. And wept some more and more, and even more.

"Giyuu...welcome home."

His voice. How long had it been since he last heard it? How many times had he prayed to hear it once more?
Feel it once more?

Under the clear, blue sky, the young boy struggled to nearly formulate some sort of response.

I'm so sorry.

I missed you so much.

Thank you for everything.

There were too many words, too many regrets, and too many gratitudes.

He hugged his body tighter, as if still making sure he wasn't going to disappear any moment.

The wind blew at their bodies that stayed bound just beyond the shoreline. The waves, gliding over their bare ankles.

And in the midst of the day, under the clear sky, and the sound of the softer waves, the weeping boy was finally able to mutter out the words he's been searching to say. More so, the words he's been yearning to say once more, had tomorrow come like usual.

"I'm home, Sabito."