twelve

"where the fuck is my phone?" y/n grumbled as she smacked her hand against the bed, hitting me in the process. i smacked her back, making her groan.

"stop fucking hitting me. and it's in the closet on the floor." i replied, cuddling further into the pillow.

"why is it on the floor?" y/n asked as she pushed herself out of bed, rubbing her eyes. i watched as she walked into her closet, bending down to grab her phone.

i sat up a little in bed. "because you got all pissy and dropped it after your call last night." i laughed as y/n looked back at me with a squint. "it's okay, it was cute. what was that about anyway, if you're willing to talk about it."

i sat up fully as y/n walked back to the bed with a sigh. she sat at the foot of the bed, facing me. "just some stupid family stuff that's not important. i don't want you to worry about it, okay?"

i frowned, reaching forward to brush her cheek with my fingertips. "was it about your dad?" y/n's eyes flashed down to the duvet, giving me my answer.

y/n never talked about her dad. she did frequently mention her mother when we were together, but never her dad. all i knew was that he was a piece of shit that abused her mom, and when she left, he started hitting y/n sometimes too.

one night, she had confided in me a little bit. she told me that when she was younger, she couldn't defend herself because she was just a weak kid. but when she was fifteen, she started growing, and actually fought back. then the hitting stopped and her dad practically became just a thing that wouldn't go away.

y/n sighed. "yeah. every few years he tries to contact me, and sometimes he gets so desperate that he calls and e-mails frank too." she rolled her eyes, reaching forward to grab my hand.

"how long has this been going on?" i asked.

y/n chuckled a little, finally looking back up at me. "since i left louisiana. so since i was nineteen." she paused, grabbing my other hand as she scooted a little closer. "i'm sorry i never told you about it, but it was already hard enough to just think about my family. i didn't want you to worry about me."

my frown deepened as i leaned forward, wrapping my arms around her neck in a makeshift hug. "don't be sorry, there isn't anything to be sorry about." i kissed the side of her head before i resumed my position in bed.

y/n opened her mouth to speak but was cut off by my phone ringing. i sighed, grabbing it from the side table. it was scooter, so i knew i was practically obligated to answer. i held up my finger to y/n as i answered, putting it on speaker.

"hello?" i asked, my mood already deflating.

"ariana, where are you?" he snapped. i glanced at y/n before shaking my head. "i'm at a friend's. what's up, though?"

"well, do you remember your photo shoot today? you have to be there in six hours." he reminded me. i rolled my eyes as my head fell back.

"yes scooter, i know. i remembered." y/n made an annoyed face as she fell back on the bed, spreading out her limbs like a starfish. i stifled a laugh as i covered my mouth with my hand.

"good. i'll be at your house at two o'clock so we can be there at two-thirty," he snapped again, and then the call went silent. i groaned, throwing my phone on the bed as i rolled on top of y/n.

she wrapped her arms around me as i nestled into her chest. "you should really get a new manager. he sucks so much ass, it's embarrassing."

   i nodded, releasing a loud huff. "i know. you have no idea how bad i want to leave, but i don't think i can. he's done so much for me and—"