Pandora's Box- XX

Hayden walked in a way that only he could; like a predator prowling the world before him. Slow steady steps descended from each limb in perfect, precise strides, while his blank eyes took in what was before him.

The bureau building was busy at this moment; people hurried by us as we moved through the crowd, their eyes concentrating as they tried to finish up their days on time. But whether consciously or unconsciously, they parted from Hayden's path; like a river splitting around the sharp boulder in its wake. I knew he was recognized by them all, this was after all the place where his own nightmare slept. And I wondered idly if that was who he was going to see.

I had never been the constant object before. I watched unsure, rather enjoying this new experience. Being beside Hayden, no one bumped my shoulder, no one spoke too impolitely loud on their phone, no one was my classic version of the babbling stampeding sheep.

Here they were relatively careful of their own movements, subconsciously aware of the handsome man strolling through; that ever air of his authority sharp against their nose. Hayden's uncle was renowned; a lawyer who had made a certain reputation of handling cases and clients charged with the most unfavorable crimes. His wealth accumulated beneath him as a testament to his phantom scoreboard. But for whatever reason, he had left his old law firm- and its multiple billion dollar empire- to that of more simple and moral bound tastes.

Now the head state lawyer, he prowled behind government buildings and oversaw a chain of command of other state lawyers. Here his hands dabbled in much more mild work, but it seemed his reputation could hardly be forgotten. Mark Donovan was a name everyone knew. And so it would seem as well; Hayden Donovan.

Whether by fear, admiration, or jealousy- these people around us acted more professional, more organized, more determined to appear human than sheep as they moved around us in response to Hayden's presence.

It was all ironic; the truth of the matter was they were being herded.  They moved in organized flocks to the one beside me. Even in their most vain attempts, they had not even begun to shed their wool cloaks. I smiled slightly, but felt guilty suddenly; I was abusing Hayden's nuclear fallout.

Why are we here Hayden? I wondered uncomfortably. If he hated his uncle so much; if there was something truly putrid and festering about their relationship-why would he purposely come here.... and at that- drag me with him? He must need something from his uncle, I decided. And by the way Hayden moved, the slight breath of danger practically clearly his path for him, I knew how much he hated what he was about to do. More people stepped out of our way.

"Wait for me here." Hayden turned and looked towards me.

"What about..." I asked unsure, unable to say the words our date. I didn't want to go on a date, I knew he must have been joking. But this wasn't what I was expecting no matter what. This place, after what I had revealed about the drawing I burned, was the last place I'd expect him to take me.

He smiled ever so slightly, but his eyes were still dark. "I'll only be a moment." he said in response, "So just sit tight for a second."

I frowned slightly but nodded my head, watching him head towards the receptionist desk.  I glanced around unsure, spying some chairs and made my way for them.  I noticed Hayden watching me as I went from where he stood in line. As I sat down, he was still staring over his shoulder at me with those unexpressive eyes.

We held eye contact like that for another moment, before finally he raised a finger and flicked it slightly sideways at me. Move over there, his lips worded suddenly. I raised an eyebrow but stood and moved. At that he looked forward again.