Chapter 63 - Funerals

Natasha looked up and found herself looking at an unrecognisable face. Their eyes were bloodshot and sunken in and their hair was wild and untamed. Natasha couldn't help but feel pity for the shell of a person staring back at her and her heart began aching as she continued to stare, unable to tear her eyes away from the mirror.

She heard the footsteps before she felt an arm on her shoulder, and then another reflection was looking back in the mirror too. Blue eyes surveyed Natasha's frail state and Natasha found herself void of any energy, she couldn't even bring herself to plaster a hardened expression on her face.

"I'm not going to ask if you're alright." Natasha watched as the blue eyes moved away. "Because I know you're not."

The figure disappeared from the bathroom and reappeared with something draped over their arm. Natasha wanted to know what it was but she couldn't be bothered to strain her eyes. She continued analysing her appearance in the mirror.

A hand reached out and gently came to rest on Natasha's shoulder. The contact was hot and the widow felt as if she had been burned. She wanted to shake the hand off but the thought alone was exhausting. Natasha realised they wanted her to take what was obviously her dress and she shook her head, she wasn't ready.

"Romanoff," The voice said, wanting her to take the clothing. Natasha looked away.

"Natasha, please," Natasha's head turned before she could stop it and she couldn't hide the expression on her face. Her gaze drifted so she was looking down at the hand that was still resting on her shoulder and it was pulled back.

She had never heard Maria use her first name before, let alone plead for anything and it was unnatural. She considered cracking a joke about Hill pleading but it was if her mouth had been glued shut.

She knew the other woman had been tasked with looking after her while Steve and Clint were finishing up the paperwork for the mission she had just returned from. She and Hill weren't friends, simply acquaintances who worked together, she knew the other woman had a disliking for her recklessness. She also knew that Maria Hill would rather be doing anything other than babysitting her right now.

Natasha reached out and took the dress, unsure of what to say, she wasn't confident she would be able to speak even if she did know. The object felt out of place in her hands.

Maybe she was the one who was out of place.

As soon as the barrier had broken Natasha could see Hill trying to build it back up again. She never got to see the assistant commander as anything other than Agent Hill, second in command, and making her squirm always made Natasha feel better.

"How's agent Carter?" Natasha forced out, feeling her voice scratching as she strained to use it.

"I'm not sure" Hill replied, turning away so Natasha could change.

"Oh." Natasha slipped her shirt over her head and stepped into the shower, turning the water as hot as it could go, desperate to wash off the filth of the mission and the last forty-eight hours.

Maria's eyebrows quirked as she heard the water turn on, unaware Natasha had planned on showering, and she quickly slipped back out of the bathroom, determined to give the redhead some privacy so they could both change in peace.

Maria pulled on her own attire, smoothing the crinkles of her dress and fixing her hair before Natasha was stood beside her, pulling her own hair back. Maria caught a glimpse of the two twin necklaces before they were promptly tucked out of sight.

There was another moment where they were both just staring into the mirror before Maria pulled away. She thought that Natasha would get lost in her reflection if she allowed her to stare any longer.