𖥻 chapter one

"dead meat

"dead meat."

꒰🏁꒱

"today's hot topic? world─renowned racer lee heeseung, who finished first for the second time in a row in 2022's gumball 3000! though quite busy with the event, the 'ace in wheels' from the faraway south korea agreed on being here with us today─"

"ace in wheels." ava mocks and turns the tv off, throwing the remote across the living room. the item lands on the couch ─ how fortunate ! ─ with a loud thud, as nora eyes her best friend and co-racer having the crisis of her life.

"calm down." "I am calm." she throws a smile her way and plops herself on the armchair, leaning to grab the bag of oregano chips that's laying open on the coffee table. "well, your bird nest of a hairstyle and manic look are not so convincing."

"who even cares about this man huh? who?" "not to break it to you, but he's got more bitches than we'll both ever have that care about him." she says & puts her legs on the table, ava pushing them off with her own. "when I said make yourself at home, I didn't mean like that." "okay mate, chill!"

ava puffs her cheeks and lets the bag fall on her lap, gaze screwed outside the window. "you know, maybe you should try focusing on practice than cry over him being better than you. shove it in his face girl!"

"I'm trying." she protests & bangs her fist on the armrest, lips drawing in a thin line when nora raises a brow at her. "I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't let that get to me, but he is making it too hard."

"he's got people supporting him, the entire event on his favor ─ even the stranger things cast came to see him live! the freaking! stranger! things! cast!" ava says between punches she threw on the cushion she's hugging, while nora can only nod, too tired to even protest.

"males." she scoffs instead and stands up, heading to the bathroom. "don't!" ava raises her palm, right when nora opens her mouth. "don't say it." "how well you know me~"

the sound of the door closing echoes through the now quiet apartment. the dull, beige-colored walls stare back at ava, the faint sound of the wall clock ticking somewhere in the house being the only thing breaking the silence.

she takes a deep breath, eyes shutting close as she leans back. this man gets her irritated to the bone. it's as if he's penetrating through her, repeatedly jabbing on that one spot & triggering her jealousy.

cause yes, she is jealous.

"fuck it." she hisses and stands up to grab the remote, opening the tv again. the show's still airing and ─ much to her dismay ─ the camera is having a nice, full hd shot of the reason behind her frustration.

this motherfucker.

"that's amazing, heeseung." the young reporter says, referring to his answer. "but I'm pretty sure your fans would like to know more about you ─ aside from you being an amazing racer. so many people out there would love to get to know you better."

ava leans forward, elbows supported on her thighs as she places her chin on her intertwined fingers. the raven haired falls back on his chair, his lips tucked in a lopsided smirk. so cocky.

"I prefer keeping my private life as it is." he's got a point. why do reporters and interviewers have to be so nosy? "but if you'd like to know me better, you have to spark my interest first." shut your mouth, dumbass.

"that sounds daring." the woman says as if on a trance, eyeing the man like a hawk. he pokes his inner cheek with his tongue, adjusting himself. "I don't fuck around with just anyone, that's all."

if it weren't for his raw answers and faint chuckles of awkwardness every now and then, she'd have turned the tv off for good a while ago. however much she dislikes him, she has to admit that he's got a very interesting personality ─ and a gorgeous smile, a tiny voice somewhere at the back of her mind whispers.

"if that's the case." the woman across from him glances down at the pack of papers laid on her lap, turning the top one around & diverting her gaze back to heeseung. "let's stick to the event, shall we?"

yup, that's for the best.

"what's your opinion on ava yoon?"

excuse me?

"did she just say your name?" nora walks in, taking a seat beside her as the camera shifts to heeseung, who crosses a leg over the other and looks at the interviewer with pursed lips.

"what's she have to do with me?" he questions, brows raised in confusion. "yeah, that's what I'm wondering as well." ava coos, her interest peaked.

"she's the new add to the lineup, and may I say, she's quite the news. she's finished second in both races of the season, something incredible for a newbie with a year of experience."

"oh get it I guess~" nora cheers and pushes her by the shoulder just the slightest, while ava can't contain the smile that's building up on her face. however, heeseung's face morphs in disgust, a scoff escaping his mouth as he flicks his wrist at the interviewer.

"next question."

"but─" "if you are to insist, I'll gladly walk out the studio and put an end to this interview." his eyes narrow at the woman, jaw clenched as he clears his throat and leans back, legs spread out and hands crossed over his chest.

ava doesn't get to see or listen what's the interviewer's reaction to this, nor what's the question that follows. nora turns the tv off, a heavy sigh slipping past her lips as she looks at her friend, whose back is facing her.

"what a fuckass. he could at least be polite & say something encouraging, considering you're a newbie." a scoff. "don't mind him darling, he is full of shit." she exclaims and pats her head, messing her hair a bit.

"ava?" she spells when the girl gives no reaction, eyes screwed to the blank screen. her jaw twitches as she looks up and meets nora's worried orbs.

"he's a dead meat."