Chapter 31: Escape

Chapter 31: Escape

The night we chose was a dark and silent one. Genie and I decided it would be best to make our move during a time that was least expected. It also had something to do with the fact that Cupid and Angelo were asleep for once. It was foreign to me. I didn't think I could recall the last time I saw either of them with their eyes closed and mundanely lying in a bed.

The two men had gone on a venture we knew nothing about. They have been doing that for the past few days since we came to this mysterious land. They went on their ways and met people we had no clue about. Genie was left to be my bodyguard. In the meantime I played the role of Rapunzel; trapped in the high tower and forced to be segregated from the real world. Or whatever this place was. It didn't matter though because right now we were about to create one of our own.

I shook my head, hating the fact that there was a high probability that we could fail and be caught redhanded...or worse.

It wasn't something I wanted to happen. I had seen the image of Angelo angry before and I did not want to be on the receiving end despite everything that has happened between us.

I still didn't fully trust him to not entrap me or do something else, like I don't know, murder me.

Okay, maybe I was being a bit dramatic about the latter part, but I just didn't want history to supposedly repeat itself.

"It's time." I whispered to Genie after gently shaking her shoulders to get her attention.

Her eyes snapped open like she had awoken from the dead.

It was an accurate description with how her arms were positioned across her chest as she lied in bed. The black outfit she wore too blended with the shadows of the room.

Everything had been pre-meditated. The timing, our clothing, the luggage we had which was light and only held the necessities (light sources, water, food and a stolen pendant from Angelo's room).

Genie had mentioned earlier that the only way one could escape here was to break through the barrier he created around the house. I was never aware that one even existed until one morning she pointed out how the birds never made it pass a certain limit of the sky. I watched with my own two eyes as they hit the space like there was an invisible shield before redirecting themselves. The pendant was a magical item, one of which was necessary to have in order to succesfully walk through the shield. Maybe that was the reason why they couldn't take us out to town or maybe that was what they used to justify this little stunt of theirs. It didn't matter that Angelo had told Genie to make sure I didn't pull any "funny business". I couldn't do so even if I wanted to because there was no way I could make it past these grounds.

Realizing that he had been playing us all along was not a very good feeling. So taking one of his most prized possessions and leaving like this didn't feel all that bad.

There was a bigger part of me that was conscious of the fact that he would eventually find me. I was sure that he would work something out with even the devil if that meant getting a trail of me.

He had expressed that much when it came to how much my presence in his life now meant to him.

In comparison to the past, Angelo was much more desperate and edgy.

And that was something to be cautious of.

It was no secret that nothing good ever came from one being at wit's end.

Imagine that being the case for a mythical creature like him; a whole angel.

However, until then, I had to figure something out. If it meant only finding one jigsaw piece out of a thousand, I'd still consider this a worthy trial.