Chapter 33: Outlaw

PART TWO BEGINS

Chapter 33: Outlaw

Genie and I had ended up somewhere we should not have been. I knew that much for sure.

For one, our surroundings looked nothing like the outbounds of Aegina; not that I really had any idea of what it was supposed to look like but I knew it wasn't this.

The layout of the building we were transported to was reminiscent of a chapel. It was brightly lit and there were things I had never seen before in my life. Artifacts that seemed to glare back at me for my intrusion and the quality of light did the same.

For some reason, my intuition screamed at me that we were somewhere divine...but also forbidden in nature.

It formed a thought that I couldn't bring myself to accept could possibly be true: that this was what the heavens probably looked like.

"Oh my god..." I heard Genie whisper from beside me; with a deep hint of fear.

"Are we..." I began to question but I was cut off by the sound of a gavel hitting wood thrice.

Bam. Bam. Bam.

There was conversation that commenced for a while and anyone would have thought we were invisible because of how it started without anyone acknowledging us. The universe had other plans though.

My shock from falling dead center in the middle of a private gathering was minuscule in comparison to what ensued thereafter. I looked to Genie and watched as she stood there, immobile and reduced to nothing because of her own surprise. Her eyes found the pendant in her hands, looking down at it like it now burned. She gasped as it grew an eye in the center and blinked at her. My heart stopped. The all-knowing eye. I felt something grow heavily in my stomach as I witnessed her unadulterated fear. She dropped it onto the floor.

The sound of the pendant cluttering onto the tiles finally drew the attention of those around us.

They looked to the side simultaenously, curious as to who or what had interrupted their session.

There were people who looked like us—regular men and women I meant. Although, the aura they carried within their individual stances told me they weren't anything like us at all. I noticed how they were dressed in fine and elaborate clothing; the colors pure and bright. There were mostly gold and silver articles existing within the space. Down to the tiles and pillars around us in the room were draped in materials and ornaments of the same shades.

Before I could even take in anything else, a weight pulled down my legs and forced me to kneel before them.

I saw Genie fall to the ground as well.

However, she cried out in pain.

At first I thought it was because her knees hit the ground too hard but it was something else.

They were hurting her without physically touching her.

Suddenly, I became crippled with fright because of what these strange people were doing.

"Intruders!" I heard someone yell.

There was shuffling as we were surrounded by what seemed like guards.

I looked to them, my emotions far transcending any type of fear I have ever felt before.

The group of people who were no doubt the ones being protected tilted their heads to look  at us from where they stood. The guards were evenly spaced so it had the same feeling of spectators at a zoo looking in from the outside on animals in their cages. There was curiosity, mild excitement and even disgust.