Chapter 33: Gaslit for Lunch

Everyone was sitting at the dining table getting ready to eat. The chef made Caprese pasta salad and meatball stuffed crescent rolls. The maids passed out food to everyone then went back to their quarters

The boys were all silently eating their food glancing at each other and at Emilia. They weren't sure whether or not Lexi had told her yet and were wary to start a conversation. The girls notice their odd glances. Bella texts Emilia and Lexi.

Bella: Why do they keep looking at us like that

Emilia: Idk

Lexi: I think I know they asked me about your foster dad

Emilia: what did you tell them

Lexi: Nothing but I heard them talking about looking into your past and finding a way to make you tell them

Bella: What the hell

Emilia: How are they going to make me tell them

Lexi: Idk but they are the Italian mafia, even though your family if they don't trust you, they could hurt you

Bella: I don't think they'd do that

Lexi: You never know

Emilia: Should I just tell them 

Lexi: NO

Lexi: Don't

Emilia: Why not

Lexi: What if they try to hurt your foster family

In this moment Emilia was thinking "I'm glad I never told her Klaus's family was the German mafia"

Emilia: what should I do then

Bella: what do you want to do

Emilia: idk yet give me some time to think about it

They all put their phones down and went back to eating; When Stefan asks, "were you guys just texting each other". Lexi replies "yes". 

Stefan: "What were you guys talking about"

Lexi: "Why do you want to know"

Stefan: "Why are you being so shady"

Lexi: "Why are you being nosy"

Stefan: "Why are you being so defensive are you hiding something"

Marco: " Stefan enough. Are you guys hiding something"

Lexi: "No"

Marco: "Then it's settled Stefan stop probing"

Lexi then said " You better not try and hack our phones or something either" with the hopes of implanting the idea in their heads to grow their suspicion about Emilia's past. Her plan was working as soon as lunch was over Stefan went straight to the computer lab and began trying to hack intro their phones to see their messages. But the girl's phones were encrypted. Stefan wasn't able to break the encryption. This made him even more curious and start to get suspicious. 

Stefan's thoughts:  "why the hell are their phones encrypted. Where did they even get this level of advanced code. What the actual fuck are they hiding."

Stefan goes straight to Marco's office and tells him about what he found 

Marco: "What the fuck is wrong with you Stefan, you tried to hack into their phones

Stefan: "Thats what your pissed off about, did you not hear about the whole criminal level encryption on their phones"

Marco: "I explicitly told you not to do anything, since you can't learn to follow orders, you're on runt duty indefinitely"

Stefan: "But dad"

Marco: "Save it"

Stefan: "Well are you going to confront them now"

Marco: "Well I don't have any other choice now do I, you tried to fucking hack their phones. I can't just ignore it, besides from how you explained the encryption you don't think it'll alert them if someone tries to hack in"

Stefan: "But I covered my tracks"

Marco: "You couldn't even break in what makes you think you covered your tracks well enough to not get caught"

Marco kicks Stefan out his office then rakes his hands through his hair and shouts damn it.

The girls all got the notification that someone tried to hack intro their phones, and the location of the hacker. It was the Covaci house. They all knew it was Stefan. Lexi was happy about the notification thinking her plan was working. Bella was disappointed she still held out hope that he wouldn't do it. Emilia was annoyed, she had come to the conclusion that if they asked her directly, she would tell them. Not everything but enough. Just as she decided to open up to them, they went behind her back. She was annoyed, angry, and hurt.

The girls were then all called to the living room. Everyone else was already there except for Luca and Sofia. They all sit down when Marco starts "Stefan has something he would like to say to you"

Stefan: "I tried to hack into your phones I'm sorry"

The girls all said "We Know" at the same time

Lucian: "What"

Adrian: "You did what"

Matei: "WHAT"

Allegra: "I'm sorry, you did what"

Stefan: "Look I'm really sorry okay but you guys were being super secretive at lunch and Lexi you gave a super vague answer when we asked about Emilia's foster family. Emilia, you never tell us anything about yourself. I just wanted some answers."

Emilia: "That doesn't give you the right to try to hack into our phones

Stefan: "I just figured if I found out who your foster family was, they could tell us about you. Then we would "

Emilia: "Then we would what, be one big happy family. I didn't know who you guys were for 17 years. Knowing everything about me won't change the fact that I grew up without you"

Stefan: "I'm sorry okay but you guys were being suspicious. I mean why do you even have that much encryption on your phone"

Emilia: "Why does that matter"

Marco: "Emilia I understand that Stefan crossed a line. He broke your trust. But it is concerning to find out that you have criminal level hacker technology on your cellphone"

Emilia: "first off you have to have someone's trust to break it, and second did you never think that maybe I could be good at hacking and coding too"