Chapter 30

After getting dressed hurriedly into fitted jeans and a v-neck she rushes down the stairs screaming "Lee!"

"I'm in here!" Malina's voice comes from the living area.

"I'm sorry." She says as soon as she sees her sister sitting on the sofa. The only thing she could think about was that she was losing her only family. She could vaguely remember a dream she had last night. All she could recall was feeling alone, sad, and with no place. She hasn't felt like that since before coming home with her father. It didn't matter if she had a whole pack surrounding her if Lee wasn't in that crowd it was as if she was standing by herself.

"Shh... I overreacted. I should have known there was more to it than what I was seeing."

Instant relief. She pulls Malina into a hug. "I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too."

Although relieved, guilt was dwelling within her. After Vince's revelation, how could she not be guilty? She was deliberately keeping a secret. Eww... Why did alpha Vince have to admit those things to her? "What have you been doing? Where are you staying?" They both sit on the sofa together.

"Nothing special, living amongst the humans staying with a friend. You don't know her."

"Why did you dodge so many of my calls?"

"I just needed time. If I picked up I would have wanted to come back, and I think that's exactly what Vince wanted. I couldn't let him win."

"Do you still love him?" The question just flew out of her mouth probably because she was suddenly so desperate to know.

"Of course..."

No... She wished she would have said that she had miraculously gotten over him.

"I thought being far away from him would somehow help... but it's been tougher than I thought."

"I'm sorry."

"Why? It's not like it's your fault. He changed."

From what she just learned it was her fault. She could feel a little worm eating away at her soul. Now would be the time to tell her sister everything. Right now at this very second, she could just say it. Get it out in the open and douse this guilt like a fire without air but the thought of pushing her sister further away made her a coward.

Vince clearing his throat interrupts them. "The two of you know I can hear you right?"

"I heard you listening." Malina smiles. "Anyway Is it time yet?"

He nods. "Nya, in my office now please."

"Come on." Malina stands while holding out her palm. "You're gonna wanna know this."

Her curiosity peaked. She grabs onto her hand and they follow Vince onto the study.
"Sit." He orders her to his desk on the reclining chair.

She was reluctant but lowers herself on the seat and settles her fingers in a bunch on her lap. Vince opens the laptop and clicked a few times on the mouse. "We retested your blood."

"Okay..." What was it this time? Was she poisonous now?

"We didn't find any human DNA."

Her face scrunches up at him. "Huh?"

"Look at this." He points to the screen.

"Caladrius..." Her eyes engulf the words on the screen; taking it in a step at a time. "Are you saying that I'm this bird?"

"Partly... you are also part wolf."

"13%?"

"Correct..."