CHAPTER THIRTY

THE BELL TOWER;
part one

RENNA RAN. SHE NEEDED TO - had to - find John B, and Atticus, and Kiara, and JJ, and Pope. She needed to make sure they were safe. She found them camped out beside a shack, their van parked beneath an overhang next to the ageing building covered by tree leaves and bushes.

"John B!" The frantic girl shouted as she ran towards the car, everyone inside immediately sitting up. They'd initially mistaken their friend's voice as someone else's, but were relieved once their eyes landed on the running girl.

"Oh, thank god," Atticus mumbled as he jumped out of the car, everyone else letting out thankful breaths as they stayed seated in the vehicle.

"Where is he? Is he okay? Are you okay?" She asked in a single breath, studying Atticus' face worriedly.

"We're fine, darling. Everyone's fine." He pulled her into his embrace, her clinging onto him as she softened in his hold. However, the sound of sirens interrupted them. 

Atticus pushed the girl to the side, holding her against the wall as the cops drove by on the road beside them. Secretly, neither of the two teens were focused on that, they were too busy focusing on each other's eyes. They were close . . . so close.

"Hey, Ren!" JJ called out as he hung out of the back of the vehicle. "Come check it out. Pope's smoking weed!" He laughed before John B smacked him upside the head.

"I'm sorry?" She asked as she looked up at Atticus before turning back to the vehicle, manoeuvring away from the wall and his close body as she peered inside. Atticus sighed. He was so close. "Hey, Kie." Renna waved as she peered through the open, passenger window. "Jesus, Pope. You look like shit."

"Thanks, Renna, sweetheart," Pope sarcastically mumbled as he patted her cheek, so she blew a soft kiss back at him.

"JB, you okay back there?" He only hummed. By that time, Atticus had joined her, leaning over her shoulder with a grin. "Have you guys gone to the police yet?"

"How many times do I have to tell you guys! We can't trust no police!" JJ shouted from the back of the van with annoyance.

"We already did, but Ward bet us on it. They're looking for John now," Kiara informed the confused girl.

"Wait, why you, though?" Renna caught eyes with John B behind the two front seats. "I mean, we were there too." 

"He doesn't have anything against you guys," John B muttered as he looked between the two standing outside.

"He doesn't have anything against you," Atticus corrected as he locked eyes with the girl beside him. "The police are after JB, Rafe and Ward are out there lookin' for me, but you're off the hook. You're safe, Ren."