~CHAPTER 21~

"My mind says,
'Who cares?'
  But my heart says,
  'You do stupid"
-Unknown
______________________
Song name: lonely
Artist(s): Imagine Dragons
_____________________________
WARNING: TALKS ABOUT MILD DEPRESSION AND ABUSE!!! PLEASE DON'T READ THE CHAPTER IF NOT COMFORTABLE!

"My mind says,'Who cares?'  But my heart says,  'You do stupid"-Unknown______________________Song name: lonelyArtist(s): Imagine Dragons_____________________________WARNING: TALKS ABOUT MILD DEPRESSION AND ABUSE!!! PLEASE DON'T READ THE CHAPTER IF...

"What do you mean?" Weston's cold voice boomed. It was very calm. Too calm for anyone's good.

Ariana said nothing. Silence filled the air as newfound tears came to her eyes. She really didn't feel the need to repeat the sentence. No, she didn't want to repeat the sentence.

Zoe, who had been silent for the entire time, came towards Ariana carefully and slowly put her arms around her but Ariana flinched, hard. Very hard.

Zoe looked concerned, sad, and angry. Not angry for Ariana flinching but at herself, at Jack, and at the entire world for doing this to her daughter.

"Wh-what did he do?" Alexander quietly asked, looking scared. For the first time, in his life, he was scared of something.

Ariana kept quiet. She acted as if the question was never even asked. She was never open of what happened in the depths of the cold basement.

Not to the police, not to her mom. No one. She bottled up all her emotions as well as the memories, letting it all come in the form of nightmares. She started taking sleeping pills but sometimes it didn't work. After she came back, she became selectively mute for 3 months. She even went to therapy for 2 weeks but it didn't work out.

The first thing she asked her mother after she spoke again was to let her join self-defense and fighting classes to which Zoe reluctantly agreed.

There she met Xavier, she was so scared of him that it physically ached the boy's heart because he felt a sense of protectiveness towards her the moment she entered the room. After 6 months, she started warming up to Xavier who taught her, not only to defend herself and fight but also to help her fear less of men.

When she met Sebastian and the rest of the boys, she felt a sense of security as she did for Xavier hence the reason she didn't fear them and easily warmed up to them.  But somewhere in her fragile heart, she always had a tiny bit of fear left. After all, she had come out of a traumatic experience. But she hid her fear and did that so damn well along with every other emotion.

Sadness was among the many. She showed happiness, sassiness, and softness to cover how she really felt. Depressed.

She hasn't felt happy in a long time. Nearly a decade. To express her depression, she started painting and most importantly, music.

Singing and playing string instruments allowed her to show emotions.

But after Christian shouted, something in her awoke. Memories after memories started creeping into her mind as she started having a panic attack.

"Ariana, please tell us," Sebastian said after 5 minutes of deadly silence. Ariana shook her head, too scared to talk.

"Ariana look at me," this time, Zoe spoke, making Ariana look at her electric blue eyes

"You do not have to say anything. We will not force you to. Just remember, we will always be with you. No matter what." She whispered. Ariana glanced at her and saw nothing but honesty and sincerity. 

But can she trust it?

The room went quiet for 2 minutes. The family stayed patiently, to see if she was going to tell them. When there was no sound, they started to turn around but Ariana stopped them,

"Jack was the best dad I could ask for but it was all fake. He kidnapped me. The ba-basement. It was cold and dark." The entire family looked at her silent, telling her to go on.

"Jake use to leave me for an hour and come back with new torture methods," she said, making the family clench their jaws.

"Like what?" Alessandro asked, his voice a bit shaky, trying to calm down his anger.

"It depends. From drowning me to slashing me, to whipping me to using his hands and punching me. Most of the time, he used to verbally abuse me as well. He also use to play a lot of mind games. Bring my hopes high just to crush them again and again," By this time Ariana was silently sobbing while Zoe came to hug her. This time though, Ariana didn't flinch. She instead melted into her hug.

"Did he, you know..." Samuel asked, trailing off, not wanting to think about it.

"Tried to, but failed," Ariana said quietly. Even though she was in a weak moment, she used up all her remaining energy and strength to stop him from doing so.

Everyone in the room had different but similar reactions.

Weston was stoic but when looked into his electric blue eyes, all to be seen was anger. He looked like he wanted blood. His jaw and hands clenched hard.

Preston had a similar reaction to Weston but a lot calmer. He kept his anger in check seeing as Ariana could get more scared.

Christian was well... Christian. Did he storm out of the house? Why? He wanted to cool off. He never hated Ariana. She just reminded him of a certain someone who was near and dear to his heart.

Alexander... well he went to his room and punched the poor wall. Five times. Luckily, the room was soundproof so Ariana didn't hear anything.

Alessandro had tears held in his eyes. He wasn't angry. Oh boy, he was much more. He was livid.

Samuel was sad, angry, and disappointed. Disappointed in himself for have not helped her.

Sebastian was livid. He wanted to bash anything in his way. The only thing keeping him sane was Zoe and Ariana.

If Zoe was furious before, now she was more than it now. She didn't show anything since Ariana was angry but the inner assassin was coming out. She wanted to torture her ex-husband for such a sin on such an innocent girl that just happened to be her daughter.

But there was a promise held by everyone. To protect her from any more harm and to help her.

Ariana on the other hand was numb. She realised what she had done and she hoped no one would hate her. She hoped that if they did not, she treat her like a fragile piece of glass.

With those thoughts, she fell into a deep abyss.

Little did she know that this wasn't the last drama to unfold tonight.

1057 words
Edited

Publish date: 5/August/2022