Chapter 25

"Can you tell me where we're going?"

Our bags were packed in the back of the car. Tommy drove us along the motorway, deep in thought. Neither of us had mentioned what happened the night before. A new, cooler distance seemed to exist between us.

"You'll have to wait until we get there."

"Will John and Arthur be coming too?"

"They're meeting us there. First rule, Kimber. Never go to these things alone. You'd be a sitting duck."

"Rules are boring," I declared, resting my head on my folded arms braced against the window.

"These ones, you'll have to follow."

I bit my tongue to keep from arguing.

We drove further into the country, finally coming to a large public grounds with a huge building that might have been a large arena. We were far from the only ones in attendance — other cars were parked all across the grass, with people heading inside. I understood Tommy's sage words. He'd be a madman to come here without anyone for protection. My fingers curled around the gun he'd given me, concealed in the pocket of my Burberry trench coat.

The purpose for our visit became clear when we finally reached the arena. Inside were horses, grouped into cordoned-off areas, with men carrying clipboards announcing their various attributes and haggling prices.

"We're here to buy a horse," I realised.

"That we are." Tommy pushed his hands inside his pockets. "You see any that look promising, tell me. Here's John and Arthur."

Arthur ruffled my hair in greeting. I stuck my tongue at him, and returned John's one-arm hug.

"Don't bother down the south end," Arthur said. "All old and lame."

"Well, let's get a move on," said Tommy. "Before everyone else gets the good ones."

I felt like a novice looking at horses with the Shelby brothers. They asked expert questions about thoroughbreds and training, inspected everything from the horses' teeth to their hooves, knew exactly what influenced a price and whether or not it was fair. John was animated. Arthur stood back and watched at first, observing, before jumping into conversation more informed than even John. Tommy examined the horses, and he listened. A small twitch of his head each time, and his brothers knew to move on.

We'd seen what felt like two dozen horses when we moved further through the building, and a large black stallion caught my eye. "What about him?" I asked.

The Shelby brothers were silent for a moment. "You heard Kimber, boys," Tommy said. "Look at the stallion."

I approached slowly, hand outstretched. He was more spirited than I was used to, but stilled enough for me to pet him, whinnying appreciatively. John and Arthur spoke with his handler, and from the sounds of the conversation, he was fit to race.

"He'll need a spot more training," the handler conceded, "but I can't imagine there'll be any issues."

I turned to Tommy, my gaze hopeful, to find he was already watching me. He turned his attention to the horse.

"Straight legs. Wide chest," he said. "Confirmation looks good. We'll need to hire a new jockey," he continued. "Possibly a trainer, if he needs the work." He turned to the handler. "Not to mention the insurance for everyone involved."

"Best I can do is a pound below asking," the handler said smugly.

Tommy stepped forward slowly. "No. You'll go down three pounds." His voice was ice cold, sending shivers down even my own spine. "And to express our gratitude, we'll take your grey mare, too. Also three pounds below asking."

"The grey's not a racer," the handler stammered.

"And I don't intend to race her. John, write our friend a cheque for the horses. The black one to our racecourse. The grey to Small Heath." Tommy turned to me. "Say hello to your new horse."

My eyes widened in surprise. I glanced at the mare, her white coat gleaming in the artificial light. "She's... mine?"

"She's not the black," Tommy said, approaching the grey and expertly running his arm down the bridge of her nose. "But this way you can ride her. Whenever you like. Might even make an eventer out of her, yet."

I stepped closer to the horse. She was gentle, calmer than the black one. As I approached, she leaned in to the stallion, the pair touching necks and noses for just a moment. There was affection there. But they separated, and I stroked her neck, her coat soft beneath my fingers.

"I don't know what to say. Let me pay for her, at least."

"Not a chance."

I scowled. "You gave me a whole wad of cash and I've had no opportunity to use it. Please don't demean me any further."

"Demean you?" Tommy mused. "Is that what I did last night?"

My cheeks flared red hot. I didn't miss the way John's cheek lifted in response, though he was busy writing a cheque. Fuck. He'd catch the complete wrong end of the stick from those words.

"Because it seemed to me you enjoyed it, Kimber," Tommy continued. "But just say the word, and it won't happen again."

I focused intently on the mare as I continued to pet her. As I took a breath, and gathered my thoughts.

"We broke a rule," I said quietly. "It can't happen again. Not if we are to succeed."

"Don't lie to yourself. We've been breaking rules since the minute we left Small Heath. Before, even." Tommy pulled back. "But as it happens, I agree. Consider it a lapse in judgement."

I nodded, hands twitching into fists at my side, out of nerves rather than anger. But I wasn't finished. "I want to re-negotiate," I said.

Tommy raised his eyebrows expectantly.

"I want to begin working. Earning keep of my own. I'm not expecting to run the company," I added, quieter. "But I need to start somewhere."

I expected Tommy to flat-out refuse. He surprised me. "Can you keep books?" he asked.

No. "I'm a fast learner," I said instead, refusing to admit it.

He nodded slowly. "I'll have Polly show you. Don't take the piss, mind," he warned. "She's busy enough of her own. But I'm sure she can spare an hour or two for a couple weeks."

"I can teach her, Tom," John piped up.

"Not a fucking chance. I want it done right." Tommy fixed his attention on Arthur. "But you'd better clue her in on our business divisions."

Arthur gave one, curt nod.

It seemed the matter was settled. "Thank you. For the horse," I said.

Tommy's expression was unreadable as he tapped his cigarette canister against his palm.

"You're still my girl, Kimber. That means I'm going to give you everything."