House of Wires

Layla's POV

"Okay, so we have a poisonous web, three hooks, and a spider-shaped hole thing," Nina said.

"I had hoped this task would be about mermaids. Or baking," Amber commented as we walked down the hallway.

"Hi, Layla," I heard someone say as Amber and Nina led me down the hallways.

"Hey," I greeted pretending nothing was wrong. I suddenly felt Nina whack me in the arm. "Ow what was that for!" I exclaimed.

"She has your necklace!" She whispered. I frowned. She must have found it somewhere. Oh well I could probably just ask Jerome if he could ask for it back later when I got my sight back.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa. Have you three started a strange girls acting strangely club? Because right now it's going very well," I heard Jerome say as Nina pulled me down the hallway after them.

"Poppy's wearing a necklace around her neck," Amber stated.

"Seems logical, Amber. That is where you wear them. Continue?" Jerome said.

"Well, um, it's actually mine," I told him as I felt Nina nudge me.

"Are you alright, Layla," Jerome asked.

"Yeah of course, why do you ask that?" I replied.

"Because you're talking to the locker?" He asked.

"Oh, my bad!" I said embarrassed as my sister quickly turned me back around. "Anyways, I was just wondering if you could get it back for me," I told him.

"I'll see what I can do," he said.

"Do you believe him?" I heard Amber whisper to Nina.

"Why wouldn't she?" I huffed crossing my arms, though I guess it didn't look as good seeing as my sister had to point me in the right direction again.

Jerome's POV

"Poppy!" I called out as I spotted her.

"I didn't steal it, Jerome, I swear. I found it outside in the grass. Honest!" She said.

"Okay. I believe you. But that belongs to someone else and that someone else is probably going to be very upset that they've lost it. A good person, Poppy! A kind person, wouldn't want that, would they?" I told her.

"I guess," she sighed handing back Layla's necklace.

"That's more like it," I said.

"You really have changed, haven't you, gerbil?" She said. I frowned but I had to admit since Layla had arrived I felt a lot happier.

*****

Layla's POV

"Layla? Are you okay? Can you see?" Eddie asked as I sat at the table helping him and Patricia clean silverware at lunch. It's not like I had anything else to do at the moment.

"What? Yes, of course I can!" I told him as I picked up the next item on the table and started cleaning it.

"And now you're polishing fruit," Eddie told me. "You really can't see, can you?" He prompted again.

"Okay, maybe I'm not exactly 20/20. It's just an eye infection. I've had it before!" I said quickly as I heard Patricia confirming my lie by telling him the same thing happened to me last year.

"Can you see anything? Can you see me?" He asked, his voice sounding a bit closer.

"I can see, like, a massive blurry blob," I said as I squinted and blinked a few times.