Part 2: Chapter 47

Chapter 47: Welcome Mat

Clark had entered the house long ago, but Ethan lingered outside, pacing in front of the doorstep. The brand new 'welcome' mat was getting a faint line in the middle where Ethan continued to walk over it. Ethan usually wasn't this nervous, but after a month of zero contact with Chris, going into his house felt like a big leap.

Chris finally moved out of Aiden and Aaron's place and after getting settled for a week or two, he was holding a housewarming party. Just about everyone he knew, the Moores, the Tylers, even the Sterlings, were invited. It was the sort of big family function that Ethan couldn't miss. In fact, he'd brought Clark early to help set up, which cemented the fact that he would have to speak with Chris.

Ethan's thoughts were scrambled, his emotions a big pile of nervous mush. It was stupid because Chris was the one who confessed. So why did Ethan feel so awkward? Ethan wanted to help. He wanted to support his friend. He wanted to see Chris again. But right now, standing in front of the pearly white door, the last thing he wanted to do was step inside.

Ethan was still getting the courage to go in when the door swung open, a disheveled-looking Chris holding the knob. His old t-shirt and sweat pants were dampened by the same sweat creating a sheen on his dark brown skin. Ethan stopped his pacing, turning towards the taller man as his cheeks began to flush. It wasn't hard to figure out what he'd been doing outside.

The two stood still, staring silently at one another. What did one say to the person who rejected them? To the one they rejected? Where did you go from here? Chris cleared his throat, the start of a smile on his full lips.

"When Clark came in, I asked him where you were and he said you'd be in any minute. Ten minutes later you're still outside," Chris teased, arms crossing over his large chest. Ethan tried to meet his eyes, smiling sweetly.

"Are you keeping tabs on me?" He joked.

Chris didn't laugh, his smile falling as he stared at Ethan. The light mood he attempted to create disappeared without a trace, leaving his true emotions bare. Ethan bit his lip, the longing look in Chris's eye matching what he already felt. They'd failed miserably at pretending nothing had happened. Everything had happened. Chris's eyes fell to Ethan's mouth and he released the small bit of flesh, opening his mouth to speak. I have to tell him that I-

"Chris!"

Chris craned his neck around to find the person calling him while Ethan tried to remember who the voice belonged to. When he couldn't come up with anyone, he assumed it was a stranger. Chris faced him again, appearing apologetic as he stepped away.

"Sorry, I got to deal with that," Chris apologized, pulling the door open even further as he moved back. "Please come in and talk to Aaron, he knows what's going on."

Chris ran off and Ethan was finally forced to step through the doorway. I'll get another chance Ethan told himself, trying not to be disheartened as he watched Chris go further away. Luckily, the brand new house Ethan was standing in proved to be a great distraction.

Chris's new home was like a modernist Pinterest board brought to life. White walls, huge glace windows, silver accents. There wasn't much in terms of decorations but the dark gray and white couches said it all. It was minimalist, clean, and completely Chris. In a way, the monochromatic decor could have read impersonal, but there was a homey aspect to it he couldn't place his finger on. Possibly, it was just Chris's presence filling the space. Ethan loved it.

Although everyone at the house was supposed to be here to help, it felt like the party had already started. Clusters of people laughed and joked as they blew up balloons on the living room floor or poured chips into bowls in the kitchen. Passing by the sliding glass doors that led to the backyard, Ethan noted Aiden dancing as he flipped a burger. It was a strange sight made even stranger by the fact that it was Canadian autumn and Aiden wore a winter jacket to protect against the chill.