31. Promise

I startle awake, gasping

I can't escape—he's holding me—no no no—let me go—

I let out a hard sob. "I-I didn't mean to—Please let me go," I cry, shielding myself. But Dad's holding me by my waist, and it's only a matter of time until he squeezes the life out of me. 

My bodystarts trembling. I suck my sob back in, squirming out of his hold. When that doesn't work, I cry out again.

Please. Someone has to hear me. Just one person out of billions and I'll be so so so happy.

"Aaron—" I flinch, sobbing harder. I try again to escape, and this time I manage. I squirm away, shaking over my whole body and crying my lungs out. 

I jump off the bed, collapse in the corner of the room and shield myself from Dad. My shoulders tremble along with my sobs, and I need them to stop. He can easily find me again, based on the loud cries I'm letting out.

When a shadow of a broad person lands on me, I flinch and press myself more into the wall. Please. Go away. Let it be over for today. 

"Aaron, what's wrong? Bab—" "I can't handle more," I sob, hiding my face as I look over at him. It's dark in my room, but his broad figure is unmistakable against the faint streetlight coming through the curtains.

I drain out the voices as I rest my head on my knees. Who's he talking to? Are his friends here to beat me up, too?

"Seb, what's happening?"

"I have no idea, but he's freaking out."

"Step aside."

"I can handle it very well by myself, thank you."

"No, step aside. You're reminding him of a bad memory."

"I—why thank you so much, Ada."

"No, look at the scene you're creating! A muscled guy standing over a small boy, your shadow over him and all. Just step aside, please."

I sob. God, how I wish I could just teleport to Nina's—anyone's right now, really—arms and be safe. I just want to be safe. Is that too much to ask?

The shadow disappears and with that, part of the tension and panic in my head. I breathe out, blinking until I see more in the darkness. A smaller figure slowly makes their way to me, but it can't be Dad. It's not Nina either.

I catch sight of the floor and walls around me. That's not my wallpaper. I suck a breath in at the reality crashing down at me. I'm not at my parents's house. I'm not close to Dad. I'm not receiving any beating.

I'm safe. Happy, even, at some moments.

"Aaron?" Ada's soft voice is now closer. I blink up. Finally realize she's the smaller figure. "Can I switch the lights on?" she asks.