63

Colby's POV

"So tell me exactly what happened." Sam said as he pulled the bullet out of my shoulder.

"Ugh...that fucking hurts." I said through gritted teeth. "Sorry, man. The pain meds should kick in soon." He said and looked at me through his lashes.

"What happened?" He asked again. "They tried to overturn me. David, Trevor, Jay, and Zach. Maybe more. None of us are safe, even here." I said with a sigh.

"We'll evacuate the building and change the codes for the door. That's the only way to truly secure this place until we can find out who's actually on our side." Sam said as I closed my eyes.

"I wanted them to kill me." I said with a sigh. "Woah...really?" Sam asked, stopping what he was doing to look at me.

"They're right. I've been..distracted." He said with a sigh. "You haven't been as distracted as you think. You've been under a lot of pressure and adding a girlfriend to the mix makes things harder for you." He explained then started to stitch me up.

"You think I should break up with her?" I asked and looked at him. "Do you want to break up with her?" Sam asked as I shook my head.

"I thought she was dead. They convinced me that they killed her and...I thought about how I didn't know if I could live in a world where I knew I got her killed." I explained, keeping my eyes down.

"It wasn't until she was shooting David in the head that I realized she was alive." I said with a sigh.

"Wait...she killed him?" Sam asked as I nodded. "He had me and was less than a second away from pulling the trigger when she did it." I said as he nodded with an impressed look on his face.

"Who knew she could be such a badass?" He asked with a laugh. "I did." I said with a small smile.

"You're so in love with her." He said and stitched my first wound. "Yeah. I am." I said then closed my eyes.

"I don't know what to do though. Who can we trust?" I asked and looked up at him. "The four of us, and Nate so far." Sam said as I nodded.

"I better trust Nate right now." I said and clenched my jaw as he pulled the second bullet out of me.

"God DAMNIT!" I yelled feeling my whole body clench from the pain.

I was trying to be strong before because I didn't want Julia to worry but damn did this shit hurt.

"Sorry." Sam mumbled as he focused on getting that wound taken care of.

"I'm gonna start looking for a new house for us. The one we are in is just not safe anymore." I said and closed my eyes with thought.

"We'll change the the codes to get down here, and we'll interrogate everyone. Those who prove to be loyal can stay. The others will be taken care of." I said then opened my eyes.

"Sounds like a good plan. What about Tony and what about Alexander Quill?" Sam asked as I sighed.

"I might take my anger on our gang out on Tony and just kill him tonight." I said with a laugh.

"As for Quill, I still don't know. Especially after tonight, things are dicey. I know I say we can't hide because it shows weakness, but after tonight we need to hide." I said and looked down at where he was stitching.

"There's not enough space down here for all of us to live so the new house has to be first priority." I said as he nodded.

"We're all gonna stay down here?" He asked as I nodded.

"After we change the codes and make sure nobody is hiding in here." I said as he finished stitching me up.

"Sounds like a good plan." Sam said with a nod. "You're better at being in charge than you think." He said and patted my not wounded shoulder.