Chapter 47

I haven't made a list in a while. Let's make another list!

1) I was lost.

2) Romeo was going to kill me.

3) Numbers 1 & 2 aren't such a big deal. I could totally find a way out of this.

4) Number 3 is a lie.

Geez. I escaped one close death call and now I was about to throw myself into another. Great going, November. Not only is Cage mad at you, you're lost in Chicago while attempting to avenge your parents' murder. Also, a police car may or may not have begun following you a mile back, so you may or may not be getting arrested tonight.

Ah, yes. The sweet smell of becoming a full teenage convict.

I glanced up at the enormous hospital building growing larger as I neared. I had no idea if Romeo was still on the roof or if he'd already left in pursuit of Cage, but I had to try. I could leave no stone unturned when it came to Romeo. After all, he hadn't. Why should I?

I had no doubt that Cage was coming after me. He cared too much to let me do this myself. I guess, after all, maybe I did win his heart over. And maybe I did come out of all of this as the one who gained the most power. Isn't that what I wanted? To break Cage Vickers? To give him a taste of his own medicine? If he was going to risk his life to save mine, I suppose there was something good that came out of this.

Parking the car into the lot, I stepped out. It was nearing midnight now. The hospital building positively glowed against the dark night sky with all of the bright lights emanating from inside.

Anger burned a hole through my chest. I was tormented between going back and letting Cage deal with this or doing the dirty deed myself. Was this worth becoming a murderer? The life I'd be taking wasn't so innocent to begin with, but that's what it was. A life. A man with a daughter and maybe even a family. Was killing Romeo really worth it? And if that didn't work out, was putting my life at risk for the slim chance of avenging two wrongful deaths and the loss of innocence worth it?

Suddenly, there was a screech of tires from down the street.

A car was driving at breakneck speed towards the hospital, to where I stood. The windows were tinted black so I couldn't see who was inside, but I didn't need to. I knew exactly who it was.

Before Cage could reach me, I ran into the hospital building, barely noticing how everyone inside suddenly stopped what they were doing and stared at me. A nurse was making her way to the elevator with a medical cart. Beside that was the emergency exit door. I paused for a second, taking in the bright lights and doctors and patients.

"Excuse me, miss." A man wearing a blue scrubs stepped forward, his kindly old face expressing concern. I could only imagine the sight I looked, with a missing eyebrow, substituted arm cast, several bandages, and sweat clinging to my neck. "Are you okay? Do you need help with anything-"

As guilty as I felt, I couldn't waste time conversing with anyone. Cage was already out of the car by now. In about twenty seconds, he would storm in here and cause one of the greatest scenes in the entirety of Chicago. And I couldn't be there to witness it because most of his anger was going to be directed at me. So I'd better make myself scarce. Besides, I didn't come all this way for nothing.

Running to the exit, I accidentally stumbled into the nurse going into the elevator. She nearly fell on top of the cart. Mumbling a quick apology, I continued on without looking back. Just as I slipped through the door, I heard the front entrance slam shut and several gasps coming from the lobby. I guess that meant the arrival of Cage Vickers. Sooner or later, someone was going to realize who he was. I just hoped I wasn't there to see it.