Chapter 31

July 25, 1996

I have no one left. No one believes me. They did it. I know they did it but I have no way to prove it. The only shot I had of getting some real help fell through. I can't go to the police without evidence I'll just sound like some crazy kid. I don't know what to do. I can't let them get away with this. I'll figure it out. I just need some time.

Andra could hear Cameron calling her name but it sounded as if he were at the end of a very long tunnel

Andra could hear Cameron calling her name but it sounded as if he were at the end of a very long tunnel. She knew she should answer him but it all felt so trivial at the moment as she realized that she was once again on the second floor of the house on Pinewood Drive.

Savannah was there on the landing just a few feet away watching her. The two girls stood there saying nothing for what felt like an eternity. Savannah's long dark hair hung in thick damp strands down the center of her back. She was wearing the same black and purple Hard Rock t-shirt and grey shorts that she had been wearing the morning they found her body.

Without saying a word she turned on her heel and headed into her room. Andra could hear her humming as she drifted slowly through the doorway only looking back briefly to make sure Andra was following. Taking a deep shaky breath Andra started toward the open door.

Stepping into Savannah's room she saw a scene that was familiar to her. Savannah lay stretched out on her stomach her feet in the air ankles crossed. She was writing in her diary as sunlight streamed in the open window. The radio was playing quietly in the background. From below them, a door slammed and Andra steeled herself for the sound of Gloria's voice calling her daughter for dinner. Andra watched the scene play out as she had once before but this time she caught something she had missed or maybe something Savannah had been keeping to herself until now.

As Savannah jumped to her feet a small thin piece of paper fell from the pages of her diary. She didn't notice just repeated her actions from Andra's previous visit first hiding her diary and then bounding down the stairs to where her mother waited. Andra already having viewed this little performance once ignored Savannah and knelt on the floor to grab the slip of paper. There were words written on it in a small neat hand.

Party Saturday night at the Bluffs. Meet me at the bottom of the stairs by the water. We need to talk.

Andra read the note and then looked up. The sky outside had gone dark. It was night now and Andra watched as Savannah strolled into the room running a towel over her hair. She was back in the Hard Rock shirt and shorts. Andra watched helplessly knowing already that she was watching the last moments of Savannah's life playing out in front of her.

Downstairs the front door slammed and Savannah paused the towel still pressed to her hair. As she rose from where she had perched on the edge of the bed the Dj on the radio introduced the next song. Andra had known what it would be before he ever spoke the name. Savannah started across the room turning in the doorway to give Andra a tight smile before stepping into the darkness beyond.