Real Romance?

Wilbur has to be joking right? There's no way I was going to 'romantically bond' with George, whatever that means, just to save some merworld I've only known about for a couple weeks. I mean, maybe I had feelings for George in a way that wasn't really something you were supposed to feel towards your friend, but... this was going too far. And since recent events, the making out with George multiple times, I feel like this has got to be some sort of joke.

I try my luck. "Are you serious?"

Wilbur looks shocked at my question. "I've been studying this for years kid. I've dedicated my life to discovering the prophecy. I'm am 100% serious. And honestly, this third option seems to be the safest option, and from the vibes I've been getting from you two, might just be what needs to happen."

George scoffs. "But- what if we don't want to... bond?"

"Then you will destroy everyone."

I sigh in frustration. "But what if we don't want to do that either."

"Then you better want it hard enough because it is your destiny to either destroy merfolk, or, with the power of your hearts, save everyone."

I rake my fingers through my hair in a way to vent my frustration.

I hate this stupid prophecy.

"What would you suggest we do?" George asks, sensing my anger.

Wilbur watches me carefully. "What is making you so worked up about this?"

I look up at him and take a deep breath before speaking. "It's just annoying." I pause and both mermen wait for me to continue. "None of this makes sense. I feel like I can't make my own choices anymore, and George and I have just been forced into saving a world of people we didn't know about until a week ago. And I know the both of us really don't want to hurt anyone, let alone destroy the entire race. We don't want this. We don't want any ultimate power, we just want to go back to being normal human boys, living normal lives."

Wilbur listens intently, nodding his head and waiting for me to finish.

"And don't get me wrong, I have appreciated all of this awesome mermaid stuff just as much as anyone would. It's been exciting and new, but I don't want to have the weight of the entire mermaid race on my shoulders anymore. Especially if it's going to effect my friendship with George." I look over at him and he smiles sadly, understanding how I feel completely.

My emotions have been everywhere for the past couple of days and I haven't been able to figure out how I really feel. George is my best friend, and figuring out that he has wanted more than that has completely flipped my view about him. I've always known on the inside that I've liked him, a little more than you would a friend. But having it displayed in real life, has turned me upside down and I don't know what to do with the information. And having to deal with more than just myself was taking a toll on me.

Not to mention all this heart bonding stuff.

Yeah, obviously I like George and this is an opportunity to really take our relationship to a whole other level, but it's just... not how I imagined it would go, or how I wanted it to.

George brings me from my thoughts. "It's okay to feel like that Dream." He places a gentle hand on my upper arm.

I smile at him and he smiles back.

Wilbur says, "I agree, but unfortunately, the prophecy doesn't really care how you feel. You were chosen for a bigger purpose, and no matter what happens, it has to be fulfilled."

I sigh. "So... what do you suggest we do?"

"If you want to be safe about this all, I would recommend going through the bonding ritual. You two honestly seem really close already, so it's only taking things a step further. Since the both of you, for some reason, seem rather uncomfortable about it, the next best thing would be to trust each other fully, make a plan, and hope for the best." Wilbur rifles through his notebook again. "Like I said, coming together and deciding what you want to do will help you fight the temptation."

George and I watch Wilbur as he goes through his stuff again, flipping through pages and scanning journal entries.

He continues. "And if what the Seer said to you is true, than you have three days-"

"Well, technically two now," George interrupts.

"You have two days to figure out a plan before you are offered this ultimate power."

I look over at George. He seems to be lost in thought, watching Wilbur manically go through his notes again. I wonder what George is thinking about. How does he feel about all of this getting dropped on him? From the looks of it, it seems like he feels the same way I do about this whole situation, but he's taking it much better than me.

Although he seemed much angrier when we first were thrown into this. It seems like he's gotten through the anger part and is now just accepting anything and everything. I thought he was going to leave me forever. And now that I really think about it, there's no way I should be blamed for this anymore. I know now that it was literally fate for us to find that cave. But if I could go back, I would've never gone in.

George speaks up. "In that case, Dream and I should probably leave... and start planning."

Wilbur looks up frantically. "You're leaving?"

George looks over at me uncomfortably. "Well... yeah. We still have school today. And we have to figure out this prophecy too."

He sighs. "Hmm... If you decide you want to go through with the ritual you'll have to come back here."

Wilbur swims behind a stalactite and comes back with a small clear vial. "If you break this on the ground it will bring you back to this cave. I can take you to the Elders and initiate this ritual. I know for a fact they will be thrilled to finally solve this prophecy once and for all and will surely help us out."

I take the vial from his hands and give him a curt nod.

"Oh," he continues. "You also need my help to leave the cave too." He chuckles.

I give him a confused look and point to the entrance. "Is that not...?"

He smirks. "I'll see you boys later."

And then he snaps his fingers and my vision turns white. I feel like I've been sucked inside out and flipped upside down. It's a horrible sensation as my vision spins. When I land on solid ground and my vision returns I get the urge to vomit. George is sitting in front of me cross legged and looks like he is about to pass out.

I groan and clutch at my stomach, looking around the room. We were sitting on my bathroom floor. How? I have no idea.

George regains his composure at looks at me, tilting his head in confusion. I look him up and down. He blinks innocently.

"You're not gonna kiss me again are you?" I ask.

George looks taken aback and his eyes go wide. I watch his cheeks turn red as his mouth opens and closes in silent protest. His gaze moves to his hands and he fiddles with them awkwardly.

Was it a stupid question to ask? Maybe. But to be fair, the last time we kissed was in this bathroom, so it was on my mind.

"Only if you want me to."

Thanks for reading. It definitely didn't take me two weeks to write this or anything... if you were wondering. Ha ha ha... anyway! Have a lovely day! :)

1325 words